chapter 7: the taking

The semester had flown by to August's surprise.

November went by slowly, probably because she spent every waking moment on the lookout for her daily stalkers. She began to recognize them, realizing that there were about five of them who would each take turns watching her. Her friends never noticed them, the hooded figures constantly following shortly behind them everywhere they went.

Willow never showed up again. August cursed herself for feeling disappointed that her near-murderer had vanished, but the night on the rooftop had made her feel somewhat safer. Willow didn't just stalk her like the others did—she actually talked to her. She had a personality and a darkness that for some reason drew August towards her. She found herself late at night dreaming about the way she handed her the cigarette and the way she had spoken her name off her tongue like it was dripping honey.

Every time August was dragged to a party by Peyton and Emilia and a guy would get too close for comfort, she would reach into her pocket and squeeze the green lighter. She never had to pull it out on anybody, but she always squeezed it when she felt unsafe, even as December rolled around and she began seeing the stalkers less and less everyday, until by the end of her semester she was seemingly no longer being stalked.

"When are you going home?" Peyton inquired as she packed her clothes into her dark purple suitcase, trying to stuff in every last pair of ripped jeans and Converses.

"In a week," August mumbled and adjusted the glasses on the bridge of her nose, holding a book above her face as she mentally returned to her reading position that had been interrupted by Peyton—for the fortieth time. She would have the next seven days in her dorm by herself to read in peace, since she couldn't get a plane back to Texas until the very eve of Christmas.

Peyton turned towards August, donning her ugly Christmas sweater that was covered in fuzzy peppermint-colored balls and a red fuzzball in the middle of Rudolph the reindeer's face. "What do you think?" she excitedly asked August.

The brunette glared at the blonde through her reading glasses, her roommate's excitement about the sweater making her sick. "It looks like you kidnapped an elf and forced him into being a laborer in your Christmas sweater-making factory and he made that under intense pressure at the sweaty, crowded, poorly air-conditioned factory. Then he probably got very drunk after a meeting from the worker's union and went back to add the peppermint balls."

Peyton rolled her eyes and turned away. "What a ray of sunshine you are."

August suddenly remembered when Willow had called her "sunshine" on the rooftop almost two months ago. She cleared her throat as if it would also clear her mind, not wanting to remember that woman or the situation she put her in. She was far over the whole deal, simply ready to go home for Christmas break and then return and start another semester brand new.

After finally finishing packing all her clothes and makeup and other accessories that she needed, Peyton sighed and wiped the back of her hand against her sweaty forehead. "I'm all done." Looking at her watch, she looked back to August with puppy eyes and pouted lips. "It's 4:15... I have to leave to catch my flight in time."

August set her book down, sitting up and taking her round glasses off her face. "Well, have fun in Indiana, wherever the hell that is."

"Hey! We provide you with bountiful and beautiful corn, alright. You should be thanking my gracious and fruitful home state." Peyton raised up on her toes, adding the effect to her sarcasm.

Simply chuckling as she set her glasses down on the nightstand, August sat up and walked over to Peyton, immediately wrapping her arms around the slightly taller girl and giving her a hug. Peyton hugged back tightly, and the two stayed like that for a few moments before releasing.