ACT ONE / family

<EDITED ON JANUARY 30>

(note: for returning readers, this chapter will have edits to the backstory + name of MC's race)

"this is going to be character-centric" i say or something like that, as most of this chapter is spent with anime-based lines. hmm...

-

You and Mama sat on one of the crystals in the Necropolis. It had taken so long for you to muster up the strength to pull yourself out of her embrace. She looked like she regretted parting as well.

"We don't have much time," Mama said. "Once you're stabilized, you'll be pulled back to the human world and I'd much rather not see you here again."

In any other context, the words might have hurt, but you knew that coming back would either mean you came back to the hamlet or that you had truly died. Because of that, you simply nodded and waited for Mama to start.

"We are called Nebulae," she explained. "A race of...airbenders, you could say, mortals with a natural affinity to the sky and wind. We lived on a mountain, far away from human contact, small enough in number to fit there comfortably. You were the light of our lives, your father and me. When your brother, Orion, was born, we thought life couldn't get any better.

"However, during the Holy War, we were almost completely wiped out. Your father and Orion perished, and I took you with me to escape the aftermath." She sighed and put her hand on your leg, looking at you with so much love in her eyes you felt your own heart swell. "We ended up in the Fairy King's Forest. Our fate caught up with us again, though, and we finally found solace in Liones for a few years."

She clasped her hands in her lap. Her eyes narrowed and she fidgeted with her hands. "Soon enough, though, the Humans were caught up in some stupid fight, and we were dragged into it. I was killed and you were severely injured. I believe that would be around the time you lost your memories. After that...well, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

You nodded. You had woken up in Liones days after that fight. Because of Mama, the Holy Knights had been more than happy to take you under their wing. The moment you turned of age, you joined their ranks.

Mama looked around. Her gaze grew saddened. "You're about to wake up. I need to tell you something that will help you in the battles to come."

She stood up and gestured for you to do the same. You followed her out to an empty space.

"War is coming to Britannia," she said. "The Holy Knights are planning something evil, something that I have yet to find out, but judging by what has come through here, the Demon Clan is close to being awakened. I have no doubt you will be forced to fight as well."

She put her hands on your shoulders. Her touch was comforting, and you had to resist the urge to sink into her embrace again.

"Your powers can amplify the weather around you," she explained. "It's a finnicky magic, but a very useful one. Once you figure out how to control it, you'll be able to cause storms to ebb and flow to your will."

You nodded, and closed your eyes as she rested her forehead on yours. There was no point to it, you thought, happy that you could even feel her embrace again. As she pulled away, though, you realized that there was another part of your memory unlocked that you had never realized was even there.

Mama floated back. You drew your weapon and cast Sky's Protection, and when it appeared, the shield seemed more violent. You swiped your rapier through the air, aiming toward one of the crystals. The shield followed your movements and ripped the crystal into a fine green powder.