ACT TWO / passing

<EDITED ON FEBRUARY 4>

<<>>

You managed a laugh, wiping away tears with your thumb. "It's good to see you again," you said, though you were uneasy because of what had happened to Mama. What if Zaratras was the same, just smarter about when to reveal it?

Hendrickson was at a loss for words. "You were...by our hands..."

Zaratras simply smiled in response. "Right now, our first priority is to save Dreyfus."

As Zaratras spoke, Fraudrin readied his sword, putting it in front of his face. Hendrickson rose to his feet and wiped away his tears, the three of you standing side by side.

"So, I hear you became Great Holy Knight," Zaratras said. You nodded, keeping your eyes on Fraudrin. "I always believed you would surpass me in strength. I'm confident you will lead Liones well."

That statement almost made you cry again. You managed to collect yourself, focusing back on the situation at hand.

Fraudrin tensed. Zaratras shot forward in a bolt of lightning. You and Hendrickson followed, exchanging blows with Fraudrin and jumping away to allow Zaratras to land a few hits. Between the three of you, you drew blood, and Fraudrin looked a little more panicked.

He pushed Hendrickson away with a powerful kick to the stomach. You caught him and turned back to face the fight. Zaratras took up the offense, he and Fraudrin struggling to gain the upperhand.

"Just what I'd expect of a former grand master!" Fraudrin said through gritted teeth. "However!"

Fraudrin forced Zaratras away. He regrouped with you and Hendrickson, the latter of which was breathing heavily. You went into a crouch, generating a cyclone around your rapier as you glowed with golden light.

"I wonder if you three will be able to kill Dreyfus?"

"If only I could find a way to catch him off guard, and use Purge on him..." Zaratras murmured.

"I tried that, but was unable to exorcise him," Hendrickson replied.

"I see. So we can't defeat the Ten Commandments with our Purge attack." Zaratras tensed. "In that case, our only option is to end a life."

"No way!" you exclaimed. You made the mistake of turning your attention away from Fraudrin.

"Keep your eyes on him!"

Zaratras grabbed Hendrickson and jumped back a few feet using Flash of the Thunder God. You darted out of the way and turned, bringing your rapier back. However, as you stabbed, you could only see Dreyfus instead of Fraudrin. You faltered and instead launched a gale, pushing Fraudrin back. You stepped back to regroup.

"What's the matter?" Fraudrin taunted. "You have no way of saving your mentor, so you're just going to dodge? Looks like you're out of options!"

Something shifted in the facades behind Fraudrin. A red blob fell from a hole in the wall and bounced, revealing itself to be...

"Hawk?"

Fraudrin picked the blob up by the ear. Sure enough, it was Hawk, only he was red and resembled a Red Demons. You remembered his story about how he had eaten a dragon and turned into a half-dragon; maybe he had managed to do the same with a Demon?

Hawk snorted out noxious gas from his snout that made Fraudrin throw Hawk to the ground and choke up. The distraction was enough for Zaratras to appear behind him and grapple him.

"It seems my luck hasn't run out just yet."

"What are you doing?" Fraudrin demanded.

"If I offer up all of my remaining life in exchange, I can expel you out of my younger brother!"