ACT ONE / the nubium

<EDITED ON JANUARY 31>

ooh so this is what i've been wanting to write for a long time, this and the whole battle in liones arc. it was a lot of fun lmao

-

True to Caelum's word, clouds covered the peak of Nubium despite the clear and sunny weather. Even from miles away, you could feel the cool air and see the shadows the mountain cast.

You inhaled deeply and smiled. You were used to being around people for hours everyday, and had never known how fulfilling it was to be alone, in Nature's hands. This was your true element. How strong would you be if you were to fight here, without the worry of another's safety?

You rolled an Incantation Orb between your thumb and forefinger. Before you left, you had given a matching one to Elizabeth, telling her to inform you if anything terrible happened. You promised to be there without delay and no matter what. You were determined to keep that promise.

You pocketed the Orb and continued your trek, flying across the ground to get to Nubium, and up the side of the mountain once you got there. It wasn't long before cold air assaulted your lungs, making your skin prickle and your nose run. You paused mid flight to pull out a scarf from your traveling pack and wrap it around your face before continuing.

It took a few hours before you reached the clouds surrounding the peak. Cool moisture attacked your exposed skin and you started to shiver, but you refused to give up. Partly because it would be a pain to get back down, but mostly because this was for your own sake. You had to find out what truly happened to your people, and not through the memories of someone else.

Your determination helped you to soar higher, and finally, you broke through the clouds. The first thing you saw was the sun, so bright and beautiful in its position on the horizon. The sky was an unearthly shade of blue, and you moved your scarf down to appreciate the sight.

Once fulfilled, you turned back to the mountain. Somehow, that sight was even more amazing.

Whatever you had first imagined couldn't begin to compare to what you saw: a village hanging upside down, carved into the side of the mountain

Whatever you had first imagined couldn't begin to compare to what you saw: a village hanging upside down, carved into the side of the mountain. You landed on a small outcropping, which held a fountain that opened up and spilled water over the side, creating the illusion of a massive waterfall.

"Wow," you murmured, looking around. Your footsteps sounded minuscule in the cavernous space. Besides the gentle ambience, there was no other sound. You were truly alone up here.

You walked to the edge of the outcropping and floated up to one of the buildings. Save for a large, open window, there was no other visible entrance. Despite the amount of time that had passed, destruction from the battle remained: scorch marks and dried blood lined the entrance, presumably from those who were too slow to make it inside.

A brief thought sent a shiver down your spine. How powerful was the Demon Clan, to have managed to attack and almost wipe out an ancient race in their home element?