ACT ONE / demon blood

<EDITED ON JANUARY 31>

i fixed it lmao, now it doesn't drag on for super long unlike the deleted first draft

edit: we just reached top 10 in #sevendeadlysins and number one in #nanatsunotaizai! thank you all so much for the support, it means the world and more to me :) <3

-

You got to your feet, using Diane as support. Guila, Zeal, and Howzer slowly came to as well. Diane's skin was warm under your hand, and the knowledge that she was alive almost made you collapse with relief. 

"But why?" Helbram demanded. "I thought the Sacred Tree had forsaken you! How can you possibly draw out Chastiefol's power like that?"

"It's so warm," Howzer murmured. He put a hand on his side. You knew he had come to the same realization that you had.

"When the Sacred Tree is injured, it protects the wound from external enemies by releasing pollen, and heals itself," Harlequin explained. "That was a lucky break! If I hadn't been so near Diane, she would be long dead."

Howzer put a hand on your shoulder. "Are you okay?" he asked. You nodded, running a hand over the closing wound in your shoulder. Besides minor injuries and the rips in your clothing, you could almost fool yourself into thinking there had been no battle.

"Are you?" you asked. He nodded. When you repeated the question to Guila and Zeal, they both answered positively. You looked up at Diane and saw that, although she was still unconscious, the wounds in her chest and stomach had begun to close as well.

You whirled around as Helbram let out a tortured yell. "I can't stop myself anymore! You Holy Knights! All the magical powers you possess...give them all to me!"

Helbram and Harlequin resumed fighting, this time with far more passion. Madness filled Helbram's eyes. Harlequin's clouded with stoic resignation. Their power and speed left you in awe.

Chastiefol struck Helbram, stopping him in his tracks. For a tense moment, nothing happened. Blood spilled from Helbram's mouth, a stream of crimson shot out of a grave wound through his shoulder, and he fell to the ground.

Harlequin followed him down. He and Helbram exchanged a few words before Helbram closed his eyes for the last time. Harlequin wiped the tears away and flew up to Diane.

"Sorry, Diane...for making you go through all that terror alone," he said. He paused and looked down at you, his gaze soft. "Well, maybe not all alone." You smiled, relieved that he was okay.

Diane's smile was small, but she was awake. "Thanks, King." Her voice was quiet.

"Just leave the rest to me."

"Harlequin..." His eyes widened as Diane said his real name. "Such a nostalgic-sounding name. Who was it? I can't remember..."

"It was a dream." Harlequin grinned. "I'll bet you were having a dream!"

Howzer walked up to them. "Would you mind telling me one thing?" he asked. "I just can't wrap my head around why you guys are plotting to overthrow the kingdom. So what's your reason for suddenly infiltrating the kingdom?"

"Elizabeth was abducted," you explained. Howzer flinched and stared at you. "We are here to rescue her." Harlequin nodded, confirming your words.

"Abducted?" Howzer repeated. "Don't tell me...You don't mean Elizabeth's here right now?"

"Yes," you said, staring at the castle. You sheathed your rapier and walked over to Gowther. He looked so lifeless, almost like a doll. You sighed and gathered him into your arms. "Come on. Let's get going."