snowflakes

it was january 25 1986, the cold winter air making your cheeks turn red, and your warm breath turning into a cloud in front of you. winter was brutal in hawkins, though the snow had yet to arrive everyone knew it was coming. the longer they had to wait the worse the storm. mike hated winter, not being able to ride your bike or go outside with your friends. he was stuck inside watching the snowfall from his window. the one thing he hated most about it was not being able to see el as much as he wanted. during the summer and fall he and nancy would drive to maine to visit the byers.

but now winter arrived and nancy was always nervous to drive in the snow. but there was no sign of snow that whole week and mike was determined to convince nancy to go to el's. he hadn't seen her in weeks, he missed her. he missed her sweet smile, her kind eyes. just everything about her. he wanted to kiss her everyday like he did back in the summer of 85. everything was perfect until july and then she was torn away from him once again. he hated more than anything that he couldn't just ride his bike to her house anymore, that she wasn't just 10 minutes away. instead she was nearly 20 hours away.

a casual friday morning and roane county cancelled school for the day due to extreme temperatures drops. the party had discussed that they wouldn't be stepping outside and they had no plans that day, mike wanted more than anything to see el. and hey, he had a three day weekend, why couldn't he and nancy drive up there?

he got up from his bed and walked to nancy's room, he stood in the doorway waiting for her to notice him. she was listening to music and painting her toenails and after a while she looked up, "oh hey mike. what's up?" she asked putting the top back on the paint, "can we drive up to maine this weekend and see everyone? we haven't been there in ages." mike said biting his lip nervously, "mike it's freezing outside."

"so? that's why the car has heat." he said, "does joyce even know?" mike shook his head, "it's not like she's going to mind."

"i mean, we can ask mom but it's going to be another long drive. are you up for that?" nancy asked raising her eyebrow, "i don't care, as long as i get to see el... and will." nancy rolled her eyes, "we both know you just want to see el."

"not true!" he argued, "whatever you want to say." she got up and threw some clothes in a bag, "go ask mom." mike went downstairs and asked his mother kindly, "if your sure you want to drive all the way up there." mike nodded, "okay, just be careful." karen smiled, she knew how much mike cared for el. seeing his smile after everyday he care back from her cabin, and seeing how destroyed and painfully numb he was when she moved away. karen just knew she couldn't separate them. after watching him isolate and destroy himself for 353 days she couldn't let him go through it again. mike hugged his mom and went upstairs to get his things, he picked up the phone on his nightstand and dialed her number.

"hello?" her voice was tired, "hey el." he could just see her smile, "mike! what's up?" she asked, "me and nancy are driving up to maine to see you guys this weekend!"

"really?" she asked, "yeah, we are leaving soon." mike said, "okay well i'll let you go so you get here sooner. i'm so excited!"

"okay, bye. i love you."

"love you too." they loved saying that, after every phone call before they hung up they would say it, when they saw each other in person, and even just in the middle of conversations. el wanted to constantly remind mike that she loved him. she loved him. no one else, and she didn't give a crap about what max said about love. she knew that what she had with mike was far stronger then something max and lucas would ever have.

mike shoved random clothes into his bag and went to his older sisters room. "ready?" she asked, "yep. let's go." mike walked downstairs, grabbing his winter coat, scarf, gloves and a black beanie. he knew how cold maine was, and els new house was right by the ocean so it was constantly windy and freezing. he went out to the car and waited for nancy, she came out in her winter coat and got in the car next to him.

*

the drive was painfully long but they finally arrived to els small hometown. by the time they got into the town mike directed nancy, the directions imprinted in his head. he was so excited to see her after the painful weeks without her. the sky was dark and mike's calculator watch told him it was 1 in the morning. but that didn't stop the couple from being awake, el would only fall asleep if mike was right beside her. nancy turned into the driveway of the house, her headlights showing brightly through the windows.

as soon as el saw the lights she jumped up off the couch and ran to the door. she opened it and saw mike getting his things out of the car, she sprinted toward him and jumped on him nearly causing him to fall. her arms wrapped around his neck as she buried her head into the crook of his neck. "i missed you." she mumbled, she felt his arms come around her and pull her closer. "missed you to."

she pulled her head away and pressed her lips against his, she didn't care one bit that she was probably going to get frostbite on her toes from not having shoes on. the only warmth she needed was right in front of her, mike pulled away, "come on, let's go inside. your going to get sick out here." mike said noticing snow starting to fall, el grabbed his hand and ran inside.

nancy watched the couple reunite, the only time she ever saw mike smile like that was when he was with el. el was his happy place, and nancy couldn't have been happier for the two.

*

el knew joyce was more open with their relationship which meant she let them do things hopper would scream at them for. one being cuddling. hopper hated when they cuddled, he couldn't stand seeing el so close to mike. but joyce allowed it, she knew the two couldn't stand being apart so when they finally were together she didn't care what they did as long as el was happy. mike was her escape, she could finally be happy and carefree with him and not have a chance to sit around and think about how much she had lost.

when el dragged mike into the house it was instantly warmer inside. but el was still cold, even if the fireplace was going. she sat down on the couch, mike next to her. she looked over at him and giggled, "what?" he asked, "you have snowflakes in your hair." she reached over and brushed them out fo his dark hair, mike blushed and looked down. "what made you decide to come over?" she asked, "i just missed you." he said quietly, el smiled and squeezed his hand. "i know... will there ever be a time in our lives where we aren't separated?" she asked, el had thought about their future and how they could go to college together and finally be together, with nothing keeping them apart.

"i hope so.. but we can survive until then, i promise." el still had a small frown, she hated that she and mike were so far away. mike noticed her frown and leaned in to kiss her perfect lips. el slowly smiled and brought her hands up to his hair, like she always did. his hands cupped her face as they leaned more into the kiss.

"ahem." they pulled away quickly and turned to see will standing there with his arms crossed. "what." el asked, "it's like 1:30 in the morning. you can make out tomorrow just go to sleep." he muttered shuffling back to his room, el giggled which made mike start laughing. "he's right, we should get to sleep." she sighed, "guess so."

then mike pulled her by the waist so she was laying next to him on the couch, "what are you doing?" she giggled, "going to sleep. obviously." he said in a knowing tone, "with me right here?" she asked, "yes. i want to cuddle." he said pulling her closer, "what's that?"

"that's for me to know and you to find out." he smirked, "ok then." she giggled, she had no idea what cuddling was but she snuggled closer to him and rested her head on his chest. "night el. i love you."

"night mike. love you too." she mumbled, and the two fell asleep just like that, legs intertwined and cuddled closely together. nothing could replace the feeling in their chests.

that feeling was pure happiness.

authors note:

wasn't as fluffy as i had hoped but i finally had the energy to finish a one shot. go me.

lol anyway um mileven depression is still awful, how are you?

hope you enjoyed!!

-nedy✌🏼