the last day

song: clueless by scruffpuppie

*

the day before el left for maine was one of the worst moments for mike. he had promised her he would never let her go and now she was practically being tugged out of his arms once again. she was his first and only love and he couldn't bare to think about her being miles away from him. he just wanted her to stay in his arms forever, the warmth she provided was something not even a blazing fire could give.

mike had told her he wanted to be with her the whole day, so that's exactly what they would do.

*

el arrived at mike's house early in the morning so they could have a full day together. her emotions were sort of scattered, she didn't want to move with the byers. she wanted to stay right in hawkins, no matter how many bad memories lie there.

she grew up in hawkins, though she might not have had the best childhood it was still her home. she had made her first friendships there, her first real family there, and her first love there. mike was the only thing keeping her together in his moment. he comforted her when the days without hopper just became to unbearable, he would sneak out of his house if she had a nightmare in the middle of the night, he would do anything for her.

when she arrived at his doorstep he answered a few moments later, around his eyes were red, it was obvious he had been crying. el immediately hugged him and he hugged back, "i don't want you to go," he mumbled into her shoulder, mike could feel the tears brimming his eyes once again.

"believe me, i don't want to go either." she said quietly, "w-why can't you just stay here with me? i don't think my mom would m-mind." he asked, el just shook her head, if she said anything the tears would never stop.

"can we go in?" she asked, mike nodded and the couple walked down to his basement. they sat on the patterned couch in his basement and el tucked her head into his arm. "can we just pretend like none of this is happening?"

"yeah..of course. what do you want to do?"

"i don't know.. i kinda just want to sit here." she sighed, "i know i just said that i wanted to pretend none of this is happening but i can't stop thinking about it."

"yeah.. i know." mike replied pulling her close to him. "it's like.. i don't even know what to feel because i'm going to miss you so much. i just don't want to go." she sniffled, mike looked down at his girlfriend and saw a tear drip out of her brown eyes, "hey, hey.. don't cry. it's going to be okay, we'll figure it out." he said softly, "it's not going to be okay! what if i can't work the radio right? what if you can't come over for thanksgiving? i can't see you every single day and that's worse than anything."

"we've been separated before, and even though it was like living hell we can do it again. and this time we can talk to each other, it will be a little bit better than before. i promise." el only nodded, tears dripping down her cheeks rapidly.

mike truly hated the sight, watching el cry was something he never liked seeing. he wrapped his arms around her torso and hugged her tightly, pressing light kisses onto her scalp.

"do you remember the day that we met?" he started, "it was pouring down rain and we were all looking for will, but instead we found you. and bringing you back to my house that right was the best decision i ever made. everyone was so hesitant about you, and so was i, but there was just something that i saw in your eyes that told me that you were nothing harmful. even though you didn't speak much i still understood that you needed me, that you needed dustin and lucas just as much as we needed you. and slowly i started to like you, it didn't bother me that you didn't have hair or that you barely spoke i still fell aimlessly in love with you, and i didn't even realize it until you were ripped apart from me. those 353 days without you were absolutely torture, i never realized that you meant so much to me. everyone told me you were gone but i refused to believe them. i knew i just knew that you were still out there, there was no way you had given up that easily. and i'm so glad that i never gave up on you because it was all worth it in the end. you were worth it. and just because we were separated does not mean that i won't stop loving you, or that i will ever forget you. and i promise that things will go okay, as long as we don't give up on each other."

el looked up at him with a small smile, he always had a way with words that made her all fuzzy inside. mike always knew what to say and when to say it. she reached her hand up to his cheek and pulled her face up to his level so she could place a kiss on his lips.

after a while they broke apart and el rested her head on his chest and let out a sigh. mike placed his head on top of hers and closed his eyes. it was hard to imagine his life without her, she was his life. it was simply excruciating thinking about not seeing her everyday, not being able to kiss her everyday and tell her how much he loves her, to not be able to sit on her bed and read stories to her, to not be able to explain words that she didn't understand.

suddenly small water droplets were coming out of his eyes too, thinking about that was too painful.

he couldn't help not cry, el leaving was the worst possible thing to imagine. "now look who's crying," el smiled and sniffled, "shut up." he mumbled.

mike hugged her tighter, not wanting to ever let her go.

and then they heard obnoxious laughter and footsteps coming near the basement door. someone flung the door open and raced downstairs, that happened to be max. 

"i told you guys they'd be crying!" she laughed, dustin came down next and frowned at the red head, "shut up max," dustin scoffed. "i thought we talked about this?" he raised his eyebrows at her, "right the 353 days shit, yeah yeah. during that time mike was an absolute bitch to me, how could i forget?"

"can you stop?" mike asked, "and still is a bitch." she added, "max." el said sternly, max muttered an apology and the lucas and will entered the basement. "what's up lovebugs?" lucas said, mike muttered something incoherent. everyone could tell from their faces that they weren't in the mood to do whatever they had planned.

"well we were gonna go to the arcade for the last time, if you guys want to join you can come but if you don't that's cool too." dustin said gently to the couple. neither of the moved from the couch, "yes or no?"

both of them shook their heads, "okay. well umm.. see you guys tomorrow i guess?" dustin started walking back up the stairs, "wait!"

he turned back around and el had gotten off the couch to hug him. dustin smiles and wrapped his arms around her, "i'm gonna miss you, dusty bun."

he chuckled, "i'll miss you too, ellie" he teased, "alright, better go upstairs before max accuses me of having a threesome with you guys." dustin sighed, winking at mike. "your disgusting." mike mumbled, "only for you, baby." mike chuckled and dustin walked back upstairs.

el joined him back on the couch, "what was that about?"

mike shook his head, "nothing." el eyes him suspiciously before cuddling back into his side.

authors nOte

i ended it there bc i literally don't have the energy to write an ending. but it's been a hot second!

sorry this was depresso in the beginning i wrote that when i was feeling mileven depression and literally crying😂😂

but ok here's this

i know they didn't say ily until the day el was moving but my oneshot my rules.

-dustin's cat