notes

when el started high school she always found herself being incredibly nervous. of course having mike and her friends there helped but she wasn't always with them, and making new friends was hard for her. she never knew what to say and most people thought she was weird. she was always quiet in class and she hung out with the nerds of the school so that didn't help her status. and to be honest, she was terrified of school. people giving her weird glances, the people who whispered about her in class and her always getting picked last for teams.

she didn't want to tell mike because she didn't want to worry him, he was already worked up about his grades and homework she didn't want to stress him more. of course she could tell her other friends but they would just tell mike. so she kept to herself.

*

el sat in mike's room as the two of them worked quietly on their homework. mike was focused on his work while el was just plain bored with it, "mike?"

he looked up, "yeah?"

"do you ever get.. nervous at school?" she asked nervously picking at her nails, "what do you mean?" he asked putting his pencil down, "uh- like.. nervous about people?" she said quietly, "i mean yeah, with troy and stuff but i'm used to it. why, is someone messing with you?"

"no..i-i just feel like everyone is judging me, and it helps when you and the party is there but when i'm on my own i just- it's hard." she said barely above a whisper, mike frowned and scooted closer to her. "there's no need to feel that way, the only thing people would be staring at you for is how beautiful you are. they're just jealous." he said making her giggle, "thanks mike."

"want to take a break?" he asked, she nodded and eagerly placed her lips on his, mike began thinking about how he could help his girlfriend feel less insecure at school.

and then he got an idea.

*

the party sat in the lunch room while they waited for the bell to ring. they always met up there before class started so they could talk. mike didn't tell his friends about his plan, of course they would make fun of him so he didn't bother. all he had to do was wait for el to get there so his plan could get into action. it wasn't something huge, just something to remind el that he would always be there for her.

so when el came into the lunch room and sat next to mike, her bag by his feet, he slipped a small note into the front pocket hoping she'd find it. he wrote a small message, hoping it would make her smile.

*

el sat in class bored out of her mind, the class was assigned to read an article and then write an essay on it. you could do it with a partner but as usual no one wanted to be with her, so she worked alone listening to everyone around her laugh and indulge in conversation. she suddenly got the feeling people were talking about her, she heard voices in her head, whispers to be exact. her mind raced and her thoughts began to scramble. her pencil started moving faster, not making any specific letter, when her pencil broke. to lazy to get up she reached into the front pocket to grab another pencil. but when she pulled the orange pencil out a small piece of paper fell to the floor.

confused, el picked up the small folded piece of paper and brought it back up to her desk. she unfolded it and read the small sentence:

hey el!
it's mike, i wanted to write you notes so that you don't have to be nervous in school. you looked very beautiful today, i don't care what your wearing you'll always be beautiful to me. i love you so much!

-mike <3

she smiled at the small sentence making her feel better almost instantly. she could hear his voice in her head making all her worries go behind her. el loved how he could do that, with one act of kindness he could make all her feel better. his sloppy handwriting and slightly lopsided heart made her giggle.

"ms. hopper! back to work!" her teacher scolded, she muttered a quick apology and shoved the note back into her pocket.

*

mike noticed when el came into his chemistry class she seemed very happy to see him. she sat next to him and turned, "i got your note." she said biting back a grin, "yeah? sorry if it was cheesy, i just didn't like seeing you upset at school.." he said rubbing the back of his neck, "not cheesy, i loved it. thank you." she smiled, "no problem."

*

the next day mike put another note in her bag, and of course el checked as soon as she walked into her first class. she sat down and pulled out the small sheet of folded paper. she unfolded it and read the small message:

hey el!
everyone was so impressed by your presentation yesterday, but especially me. i love have a smarty pants for a girlfriend. i love you so much!

-mike <3

the small message made her smile, el loved that mike was trying to make her feel better about being in school. he knew how nervous she was for that presentation. "whatcha reading there hoppy?" ethan oak asked snatching the note out of her hand. "give it back." she said standing up, the boy being much taller than her held it over her head, "now that's not a nice way to ask." ethan teased, "please give it back." she said crossing her arms, "let me read it first!"

the blond quickly turned around so he could read it, "hey el,"

"give it!" she said trying to get it out of his hands, "everyone was so impressed with your presentation yesterday," he continued, "please stop." she said trying to grab it, everyone in the room watched intently, the teacher not in the room yet. they all watched, eager to see what the note said next, "but especially me." ethan mocked in a high voice, "who could have written this note?" he asked with a smirk, "hmm let's see if it says!" he opened the note back up and smiled, "ahh here it is! i love having a smarty pants for a girlfriend. i love you so much, mike. even with a little heart! how cute!" el had tears running down her face, it's not that she was embarrassed of the note, she wasn't, she just hated being humiliated like that or being teased about mike. she hated when people teased him.

"who knew wheeler was such a romantic?" ethan smirked, "s-stop." she sniffled, "stop what?" he asked innocently stepping closer to her, "stop teasing him." she stared at him right in the eye, "why should i listen to you?"

"you don't want to find out." she grumbled, "yeah? what's a girl like you going to do to me?" he questioned, her anger filled up inside of her. she wanted to use her powers. she wanted to so bad. but she couldn't, which left the only reasonable thing to do. she lifted her hand up and slapped him right in the face. everyone in the room gasped, el snatched the note out of his hands and sat down at her desk.

*

when el spotted mike in the cafeteria later that day she ran right over to him and crashed into his arms. "i'm sorry." she whispered, "sorry? what are you sorry for?" he asked curiously, "h-he was teasing y-you a-and i didn't- i hit him." she cried into his sweater, "who?"

"ethan oak."

"that's why he had a huge bruise on his face in second period?" mike asked, el nodded, clearly upset about what happened. "el you don't have to be upset, he deserved it. i'm not mad, really i'm not." he said rubbing her back, "your not?" she hiccuped, "no," he chuckled, "he deserves it, he's a total prick." el giggled wiping her eyes.

"you want to skip?" she asked, "to do?" he asked teasingly, "i don't know.. let's figure it out."

authors note:

soooo yeah don't know how i feel about this, it seems so rushed but so i give frick? nO.

i don't even know. thanks for 1k tho. also yes i did steal that one note idea from tatbilb so suck it.

hope u all have an amazing day and hope u enjoyed

don't even ask about exchange student because my brain does not corporate with that book.

-nedy ✌🏼