Chapter Five

Chapter Five
Elle's POV

It was so cold outside that it should have been a sin not to bundle up in a hundred layers, fingers curling lazily around a mug of hot chocolate. I envied the guests as they trailed to their rooms, but the hotel reception desk was a suitable stand-in.

It didn't have the same homey feel of a warm bed or the chocolaty richness of a hot beverage, but it was toasty in front of the heater.

I peeled my blazer from my body, carefully folding it and tucking it under the desk. I settled into the computer desk with a contented sigh before swivelling the chair to pluck a single leaf of paper from the tray.

Quel hovered by my shoulder as I scratched out a quick list of things to do. When he was sure that he had my attention, he used the tip of his pen to pull open the top drawer of the filing cabinet, snubbing the contents with a low glare.

'These need to be done tonight.'

I smiled sweetly, ignoring his clipped tone as I riffled through the files. Quel wasn't as bad as everyone thought. He was under a lot of pressure to run the hotel's front end. He was uptight because he had to be, and I respected him. He didn't need any more mouthy employees complaining behind his back. I was extra charming with him because I knew the others weren't, and he always appreciated it. 'I'll get them done. I've got to stay back until the conference is over anyway.'

'I'm sorry, Elliot. Mr Straton has been on my heel about it, and I haven't had the chance all day. I've been trying to prep the conference room, help the guests, and answer the phones. I've been exhausted since the get-go.'

'It sounds like I've come at just the right time.' I quirked, lowering my gaze and focusing on how his skin seemed to tremble. 'It's not fair that you do all the work. Take a break Quel. I'm sure you haven't had one all day, and I'll be alright for a half hour.

He puffed out his cheeks, blowing the irritation through his teeth. He considered it, but the way his blood seemed to jump in his veins, desperate for a cigarette, was too much, so he snatched his blazer and stalked down the hallway. He paused to dart into the staffroom, most likely searching for his vape. He couldn't smoke while working at the Moritz Hotel, but it seemed to help his cravings enough to last through the day.

I spent the hour drafting employee forms for Friday's staff meeting and checking the balance of the guests in their rooms. Emails poured in faster than I could respond to them, and I tried to keep my head above water as my fingers flew across the keyboard.

Quel came and went, drifting through the hotel with a million jobs to do while I answered phone calls and greeted returning guests, happy to suggest restaurants and then call to reserve their table when they asked.

I had cleared half of Quel's papers when a couple approached the desk, jolting from my skin when they spoke, so buried in the files that I hadn't seen them coming.

'Does the hotel offer itineraries?'

I glanced up sharply, glad to push the file away, my brain numbed from filling out countless payslips.

I was never meant to be the administrator for the Moritz hotel. Still, when Mary, the old administration's clerk, fled from the hotel in hysterics four months ago after a guest had screamed himself blue, the hotel had asked me to handle the payslips. It had almost been like they had pulled a name out of a hat and gone with their first choice in a desperate pinch for a replacement.

I'd spent two weeks filling out payslips before they announced they were sending me on an all-expenses-paid twelve-week course in Accounts Administration during the summer. Nanna had to fill out a special form to excuse me from school. I nearly didn't take it, but Nanna had encouraged me, suggesting it was a good safety net if I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do after school.