Chapter Thirty-Three

Elle's POV

Nothing was left to do except fight back the monsters chasing me.

I had to because I had exasperated every other option.

I cried.

And screamed.

And gave in and fought again.

I had squinted through the tears.

Because I had to.

I had to survive.

They circled me, the monsters, trying to back me into an alcove, a trap.

I held the syringe out, my only weapon, my chance of survival, as the monsters waited for a sign of weakness.

I turned. But as I did so, one fell out of sight.

Turn.

Turn.

Turn.

Getting closer

I gripped the syringe.

Two hands.

Sweating.

Don't drop it.

I choked it in my hands, not willing to give in.

Turn.

She'd started to inch closer.

Turn.

He was saying something.

I couldn't hear him over the roar of my blood.

Turn.

She offered her hands.

A white flag.

A lie.

Turn.

Another one!

A third.

How could I watch them all at once?

'Elle.'

My name.

I heard my name.

The voice was familiar, sweet like honey, deep, and echoed on the hotel lobby walls as he stalked across the hotel room, almost running towards the elevator.

'Elle, it's okay.' His voice was choked with emotion, and he, a looming threat, staggered towards me.

'Stop!'

I went to rush him, hoping I'd make my escape, but he caught my wrist in one hand and curved the other around me, holding me tightly. 'It's okay, Elle. Everything's okay. It's okay.'

He inched his fingers up my wrist until the base of the syringe was pinched in his fingers. 'Don't hurt me.' I wept, holding tighter, burying myself into his chest as tears leaked from my eyes. 'Please don't hurt me.'

With help, he freed the syringe from my grip. The loss created a void, and I felt vulnerable. He couldn't take the vulnerability away, but as our fingers laced together in the absence of the syringe and we fell to our knees, clutching each other, I didn't feel as though the fight was mine to bear alone.