sonder

sonder

-

 the realisation that every passerby has a life, 

just as vivid and complex as your own

Walking through the halls of West Ham high school was Adelaide Miller's new ordinary. Joining the school definitely attracted lots of attention towards Addy. She was the 'mysterious new British girl', with a complicated background and divorced parents. The first week of her new life began with partying, drinking and sex. It was a coping mechanism used by Addy to deal with the fact that, she doesn't fit in with the wealthy families of West Ham, although, she would like to think she does. 

Attending a 10 day camping trip in the woods was not ideal. Adelaide would rather continue to stay mysterious and in the background, avoiding the jocks and mean girls. To say she was unpopular was an understatement, she had one friend, but that's all she needed. Elle Tomkins shared Addy's interests, both quiet and inexplicable. 

Adelaide sat in her small home watching the TV. Her dad, Nate, walked into the living room. He was wearing a light jacket, and although looking exhausted from a long day at work, he had other plans. Addy looked up at him, "And, where are you going?" she raised an eyebrow. "You mean, where are we going? Come on, you can't sit here all night." he replied throwing her jacket in her face. She simply frowned, not moving. "I'm not going to some stupid school play, dad." Nathan picked up her shoes and placed them in front of her, "Ads, when was the last time you spent time with your friends?" he folded his arms. She sighed and slowly stood up, "Fine. But you're driving." Smirking she threw on her jacket on put on her shoes, heading out to the car.

Pulling up to the school, the pair were notably late. Addy stepped out of the car and paused covering her nose. "The smell, it's back." she quickly walked inside with her father trailing behind. Walking into the auditorium, she spotted Elle and quickly sat at the back beside her, Nathan sitting in an available seat elsewhere. "It sucks" Elle blurted out, a little louder than she should've. Adelaide laughed quietly and looked up at the stage. She saw Harry Bingham, the typical rich boy of the town and Cassandra Pressman, student body president. Surprisingly, the acting was good, but far too boring for Addy's liking. 

After the play was over, Nathaniel drove home since Adelaide had a party to attend. She waited with Elle for the cast to walk out, so she could walk with them to Harry Bingham's house. Grizz Visser came out first. Grizz and Addy had spoken a couple times, they had most classes together though. Adelaide walked up to him, giving him a short hug, "You did really good." she smiled. He looked at Elle then raised his eyebrows, "You guys coming to the party tonight?" The two nodded smirking slightly, Elle spoke up, "Of course Addy's going to be there, but I don't think I'll stay for long." Adelaide sighed at her comment knowing she couldn't convince her otherwise. Before she was about to disagree, Harry, Kelly and most of the cast entered. 

Elle looked at the group of 'popular' students before stating, "I guess that's my queue to leave." Adelaide sighed and grabbed her arm, "I thought you were going to the party." Elle simply looked at the growing crowd of teens and shrugged, walking out of the auditorium door.  Adelaide pursed her lips and noticed Cassandra and her little sister Allie walking to the back, followed by Will. "Party at your house, Harry? So nice of you to invite everyone." She smirked, raising her eyebrows. Addy turned around, listening in the the conversation.