monachopsis

monachopsis

-

the subtle but persistent feeling

of being out of place

Adelaide steadily made her way towards the church after leaving Harry Bingham's house. She went to check the job list that Cassandra's minions had posted earlier that day. The prom was a good idea, she thought, a way to gather everyone as a community and act like they would in their normal lives. The jobs, however, Addy was not happy about. 

She sighed as she looked at the long list of names and noticed hers next to Harry's. They were on  lunch duty at the same time. "Great." she mumbled to herself, rolling her eyes at the over-excited teens looking at the posters. 

Noticing Campbell walking over to her, she turned away, hoping he would divert his attention somewhere else. Unfortunately, he stood and leaned against the wall, staring at the girl for a few seconds. Addy broke the silence, "What do you want, Campbell?" she folded her arms. He laughed and looked at her, furrowing his eyebrows, "You and Harry seem to be getting close." 

She smirked slightly, narrowing her eyes she continued, "Right. He's a good friend. What's your point." Campbell raised his arms in defence of her snappy remark, "Chill. I wanted to put out an offer." Adelaide sighed and ran her hands through her hair. "What do you mean? An offer." she asked shrugging slightly.

"If you do my work shifts for the next week. I will stop dealing Harry drugs." he stated quickly, slightly whispering so the two couldn't be overheard. Adelaide paused and looked around, she grabbed his arm and dragged him behind the church, worried they would get caught talking about this. "What's in it for you? I mean, there has to be an ulterior motive." 

Campbell laughed at her sudden movements and raised his eyebrows, "Believe it or not, I want Harry off the drugs also. He's changed. Plus I don't want to work, so-" before he could continue his plea, Addy cut in, "I'll do it." Campbell nodded his head and rubbed Addy's shoulder. She shifted uncomfortably. "I knew you would, you have feelings for him." he stated and walked away.

After finishing up cleaning the streets and getting rid of the trash that lay on the ground, Adelaide quickly ran towards the cafeteria to begin her second shift of the day. Turning the corner on Main Street, she bumped into a tall figure and fell over. "I'm so sorry!" she begun, standing up and looking at the man. It was Harry Bingham.

He looked at the trash bag in her hands and furrowed his eyebrows, "I thought you only had one shift today?" he asked, a confused look on his face. Addy paused, "They, uh, needed extra help." she lied, feeling guilty. Before she was about to walk away, Harry grabbed her arm. "I know you. You wouldn't do work for the sake of it." 

"Well, then, I guess you don't know me very well." she stated bluntly, taking the hair net that he was holding and walking off towards the cafeteria. Harry Bingham stood there silently for a moment, reflecting on their interaction.