Part 4

Two weeks. It was the worst possible ultimatum. Jeremy had the distinct sensation of having all the air kicked out of him and they hadn't even broken up yet.

Not officially, anyway.

It wasn't as if he and Christine hadn't broken up before. This would count as the third time, and maybe it was just his anxiety getting the better of him, but this time around felt oddly final. Even when they weren't together Christine had still been there, within reach, within walking distance, but now she was flying to California of all places. It really put a damper on any excitement he had for winter break.

"Jeremy, I'm sorry, dude. Maybe you'll make it work?" Michael was sitting next to him in their dorm, video games currently paused since Jeremy couldn't seem to pay enough attention to not die every 15 seconds.

"I don't know. We still have to talk about it." It was irrational because he knew Christine really did like him and wouldn't intentionally hurt him, but he felt incredibly disposable. Figures he still wasn't able to keep a girl.

The Squip wasn't much help, either.

Your first final is in two days. Instead of laying there, we should be studying.

-I don't care.-

Jeremy shot up quickly as an all-familiar zap coursed through him.

"Ow!" -What the hell?-

The Squip placed its hands on his shoulders, forcing him to face it.

There will be other females, Jeremy. All these distractions will lead you to fail. You're doing poorly enough as it is.

Jeremy scowled and shoved the Squip's hands aside.

-You aren't helping.-

The Squip looked momentarily scandalized.

I'm designed to help you. That's my entire purpose, but I can't help you if you're unwilling.

It stood, brushing off some kind of invisible dirt from its infuriatingly pristine suit.

What I'm not equipped to handle is... this.

It gestured to Jeremy like he was some kind of filth.

I can't offer you emotional support, but I can give you what I promised: success in your education. Now stop moping and pick up your textbook.

Jeremy bristled and stubbornly flopped back down into the blankets. The Squip immediately shocked him again.

-Cut it out!-

The Squip was there, right in his face, eyes narrowed to slits.

I can do this all night, Jeremy.

-You are such a dick.-

He made no move to get up, instead tossing a pillow at the Squip's awful, smug expression. But after the fourth shock, Jeremy finally relented, dragging himself out of bed, tossing his textbook onto the desk, and sitting down. The Squip smiled at his side.

Now that's the spirit.

He and Christine had promised to talk, to really talk, but the closer the semester came to an end the more Jeremy had to steel himself for the inevitable. Christine was always busy, the Squip kept him constantly preoccupied with studying, and when they were together the conversation would die out quickly, neither of them wanting to broach the subject first. Was this how relationships died? Was he doomed to repeat this with any future dates? Maybe he was better off alone for the rest of his life.