Part 18

Jeremy, you're worrying again.

-No, I'm not.-

You're jumpy. You keep looking over your shoulder. Kevin and Michael have begun to notice and are debating confronting you about it. You need to let it go.

-I can't! What if Alex does something.-

I'll keep you safe.

The Squip rested a hand against the back of his neck and Jeremy looked at the ground. Maybe he shouldn't have gotten so mad at the Squip before. Maybe he was better off not knowing that Alex was around.

I'm glad you're finally coming around to my point of view.

-You were still acting like a dick before.-

You're right. I was.

The Squip idly brushed its fingers through his hair.

I'll be better about that.

Jeremy leaned back a little, ignoring the tingling sensation running up his scalp.

-Yeah, yeah.-

Your ice cream is melting.

Jeremy looked over at his hand, clutching an ice cream cone, partially melted down the side, through his fingers, and dripping into his pants. He sighed and licked melted ice cream from his fingers.

Everyone is going to think you're a slob.

Its tone was light, almost teasing. Jeremy nudged it in the side with his elbow before dumping the cone in the trash.

-Wouldn't be the worst thing people thought about me.-

The Squip was looking miffed.

You didn't finish it.

Jeremy was wiping at his pants with his clean hand.

-Why do you care? You can't eat it anyway.-

I'd like to.

Jeremy stared at it, knuckle in his mouth, trying to clean off the residual chocolate.

-What, really?-

Every time the Squip outright expressed it wanted something or felt something, Jeremy was caught off guard. It was becoming more and more common since he'd taken the red pill but it still didn't register to him as normal, Squip-y behavior.

Take your hands out of your mouth. People are staring.

-You want to eat?-

Jeremy scrubbed lightly at his skin with what remained of his already soiled napkins, examining the Squip as it considered its answer.

I can't smell or taste anything, but I, let's say, experience the pleasure you feel when you eat something appealing to you. I can tell you everything that's in it, the nutritional content, the number of calories but... I have no way to gauge how something tastes besides the data I collect. Of all the things I know, taste eludes me.

-Huh. Well. I could always fish the ice cream out of the trash if that'll make you feel better.-

The Squip wrinkled its nose in a way that caused Jeremy to laugh out loud. Who knew teasing the Squip could be so fun?

Please don't. You're already enough of a mess.

Jeremy grinned quietly to himself as Michael walked over from around a corner. He plopped himself comfortably next to him, taking up the space the Squip had originally inhabited.