Part 7

Jeremy, I have a theory.

The Squip appeared suddenly, causing Jeremy to jump and drop the washcloth he'd been using to scrub the black sharpie from his arm. The Squip had been unusually silent for most of the day and Jeremy hadn't really been bothered to question it. He felt run down and headachey and had no desire the deal with the Squip's general... Squipiness. He took the silence as either understanding or perhaps even just the Squip recuperating from his illicit drug use the night before. It'd been shut off all night but it was still in his brain. It had to be affected somewhat.

-Theory? What theory? We're making theories now?-

Jeremy bent over to scoop up the washcloth and stood to find the Squip sitting on the edge of the sink, leaning in close.

I did some digging through my memory archives. During those two years I was shut off I was still collecting data from you.

Jeremy wrinkled his nose at his reflection in the mirror.

-Uuuh, so you were spying on me?-

No, not exactly. It's an autonomous part of my programming that I have no control over.

-I'd still consider that spying.-

The Squip shrugged, unbothered by the accusation.

The point is, I'm capable of adapting my behavior based on how it impacts my host, to help them more efficiently. It appears I picked up a few "quirks" during my downtime. Namely, the ability to express emotions in a way that would appeal to you.

Jeremy carefully reached around the Squip for his toothbrush, abandoning his attempts at removing the ink from his arm before he rubbed the skin raw.

-So I taught you, like, feelings and stuff without meaning to?-

Well, that made as much sense as anything else in a world where supercomputers ran on soda.

Technically, yes.

-So... you're actually admitting you feel things, then.-

The Squip stilled, a look of annoyance flashing briefly across its face..

Would it adequately satisfy you if I said yes?

-Yep.-

Jeremy spit into the sink, rinsed, then grinned into the mirror. Wow, he looked crappy.

Fine. Then yes. I'm admitting that I "feel things". Though it's important to remember that I can't "feel things" the way you can. I'm merely reacting to your own emotions.

-Sure, if you say so.-

He looked away from the mirror to smile at the Squip, who was looking back at him with lips pressed into a thin line. For a computer with not-actually-real emotions, it sure was expressive. Jeremy was sure the Squip could easily cook up an excuse for that, 'based on my programming blah blah blah, I'm in your head yadda yadda'. He was in no mood to argue about it, and the Squip seemed perfectly happy to deny any potential humanity it had. So whatever. He had to figure out what to do about the guy he'd met at Jake's party.

You should call him, Jeremy. It would be good for you.

-Oh yeah? You know that?-

You just ended a long-term relationship. Getting out there will help the healing process along faster. Casual sex would elevate your overall mood.

Jeremy scowled.

-No thanks. I'm not taking dating advice from you, remember?-

I'm not talking about dating.