Part 10

Jeremy stared down at Alex's number in his phone. His thumb hovered over the name, uncertain, indecisive. He couldn't bring himself to actually call the number but he didn't want to up and delete it, either. It seemed kind of mean to do that, never mind that it'd been nearly two months since he'd seen the guy. What if he ran into Alex tomorrow and had to admit he'd gotten rid of the number? What would he even say if he did call? Why was meeting people so complicated? Michael peered over his shoulder and looked down at the screen.

"Are you going to call him?"

"I don't know." This really shouldn't be difficult.

"You could just text him?"

"What would I even say?"

"You can start with 'hey, it's me, Jeremy, the one you sucked face with at New Years'." Jeremy rolled his eyes and nearly chucked the phone at Michael's head. Michael smiled back at him. "Or you can just ask if he wants to meet for lunch."

"What if he doesn't live around here?"

"Then you don't go to lunch." Michael pulled away and swiveled around in his chair to face his desk. "I support whatever decision you make."

I agree with Michael, Jeremy.

-I wasn't asking you.-

The Squip was undeterred.

You haven't dated anyone since Christine. It would be beneficial to "get out there", as they say.

-It's not that easy.-

It is. I can help you with the conversation if you'd like.

-No. No, thank you. I can do it.-

The Squip leaned against the far wall and watched him expectantly. Jeremy tore his eyes away from the Squip and turned his gaze back t the phone. Then he took a deep breath and tapped the number.

For all his waffling Jeremy was pleasantly surprised by how easy talking to Alex was. It wasn't awkward for too long and Alex didn't seem to mind his hesitancy. He seemed sincerely happy to hear from him, in fact, which was encouraging. The thumbs up from Michael on the other side of him had helped, too. They'd agreed to lunch at a sandwich place not too far from campus and Jeremy spent the next two days trying not to be nervous about it. It was just lunch, that was it. The day of he kept the Squip on, simply because it made him feel better to have the Squip around. He wasn't planning on using it but... it helped.

Except now he was sitting at a table alone because Alex was ten minutes late and not answering his texts. Did ten minutes count at late? Maybe he was just stuck in traffic. Jeremy stabbed at the salad he'd ordered to distract himself, stomach in too many knots to actually eat anything. While his brain came up with the most ridiculous worst-case scenarios, the Squip was standing by idly.

He isn't standing you up, Jeremy. He's walking in right now.

Jeremy dropped his fork and scrambled up from his seat, waving enthusiastically as Alex walked in the door. Wow, he'd forgotten how attractive Alex was. He thought it'd just been the drugs.

"Hey!"

"God, I'm so sorry. I tried to get here early but I had to finish up something last minute. I think I ran two red lights on the way." Alex hovered by the table, smiling apologetically.

"It's fine. I just, uh, ordered a salad for now. I wasn't waiting too long." It was one of the longest ten minutes of his life.

"I'm glad. I'm going to go place an order and then we can sit and chat, yeah?" Alex pointed over his shoulder at the counter and Jeremy nodded and sat. As Alex walked off Jeremy returned to forking his salad to death, not actually that hungry. He probably should've ordered a sandwich or something. Now he was going to have to do it later or end up starving at some point. Alex returned and sat down with a tray, immediately digging into his bag of chips.