Part 20

I hope you're not planning on eating all of that saltwater taffy at once.

They were leaving later that afternoon and begin their two-hour trek back to campus, so Jeremy had decided to do some last minute shopping before they left. It was, honestly, mostly an excuse to spend the last of his spending money on as much candy as he could carry. It might have been a little childish, but he couldn't say no to fancy salt water taffy or fudge. He had two bags crammed full of it and happy with his bounty he was walking up and down the boardwalk, stuffing sugar into his mouth until it was time to check out of the hotel.

-What if I do?-

Not only is that bad for your health, but you'll also puke in Michael's car. I can guarantee that.

Jeremy shrugged a little, popping another taffy into his mouth and crinkling the waxy wrapper between his fingers until he found a trashcan.

-You only live once, right?-

You're appalling.

-So are you.-

Growing a little tired of walking, but not wanting to head back quite yet—he'd drag out this vacation as long as possible, damnit—he walked to the edge of the boardwalk, setting his bags down and leaning against the wooden railing. The breeze was chilly, but it still felt warm in the sun. He considered walking down the beach briefly, barefoot in the sand, maybe dipping his feet in the water if he felt brave enough. The Squip was standing next to him, staring out at the water with a contemplative expression.

-What're you thinking about?-

The Squip slowly turned its head toward him.

It feels... nostalgic.

-You've been here before?-

No. The ocean.

The Squip turned back toward the beach, stroking its chin.

I don't understand why.

-Weird.-

Jeremy drummed his fingers against the railing, admiring the way the waves slowly crashed against the white sand. It was so soothing. Inviting.

-We can always come back. It's not like the ocean is going anywhere.-

I would like that.

The Squip smiled just a little, and Jeremy grinned in response. The Squip didn't smile often, at least, not the soft, genuine way it was smiling now. It was still a little bizarre, but he could definitely get used to this.

Jeremy.

-Yeah?-

Get your things. Start walking.

The Squip didn't look particularly alarmed, but its tone was suddenly urgent. Jeremy did as he was told, apprehensive, and made his way back down the boardwalk. The Squip walked alongside him, face neutral.

Don't look behind you. Look straight ahead. Follow my instructions.

Jeremy almost looked behind him, anyway, in surprise, but stopped when the Squip gave him a quick, warning jolt.

-What's happening?-

Alex is approaching from behind. Start weaving through the crowd. We'll lose him and take a shortcut to the hotel.

Inwardly, Jeremy started to panic. What the fuck did Alex want, anyway? He was a little afraid to find out. Heart rate elevated, breath quickening, Jeremy did as he was instructed, walking straight into a crowd, zipping down a random side street, entering a few shops and slinking out the back, until they'd completely turned around and the Squip was trying to convince him to hop a fence.