Part 8

Jeremy, now that your new semester is about to begin, I advise we create a system to improve your study habits. I have taken the liberty of downloading all the syllabi for your classes so you can prepare ahead of time. If we schedule your time efficiently throughout the semester and start some of your studying now you'll be well ahead of your peers when-- Are you listening to me?

-No. Busy killing zombies. Bother me later.-

Jeremy was in the middle of a very intense zombie-killing video game session with Michael. He swung left, impaled a zombie through the head with a pitchfork, jumped over a few boxes. He was probably leaning in a little too close to their crappy, tiny TV. It was a wonder how he hadn't fucked up his vision yet.

How long are you planning on wasting your time with this?

-I'm not "wasting my time". I'm having fun. You should try it sometime.-

Do you require me to make our study sessions "fun", like a human child? Honestly, Jeremy, you're determined to fail, aren't you?

Jeremy grunted in annoyance, smashing the buttons a little harder than necessary.

-The semester hasn't even started yet! I'll be fine. I only got a C in one class.-

My capabilities are wasted if you think "average" is good enough. I'm here to help you learn.

-Exactly. You're here to tutor me, not nag me.-

One second he was saving the world with Michael, the next he felt a shock, sharp enough to make him drop the controller and throw his character into the horde of zombies he'd been fighting.

"Ow, fuck you."

"Jeremy! Shit--" Michael put his controller down as the words GAME OVER appeared over the screen. "Are you okay? What was that?"

"It's... nothing." Jeremy glanced over at the Squip, who was smirking at him. "The Squip is just a big killjoy and trying to get me to study."

"Study? Study what? The semester hasn't even started yet!"

"That's exactly what I said!" Jeremy huffed.

Game over, Jeremy. That's too bad. I guess you'll just have to go over the syllabi with me instead.

Scowling at the Squip, he picked his controller back up and restarted the game.

"It's super anal retentive."

Oh, good vocabulary choice. I'm proud of you.

"That explains a lot of things." Michael grinned and followed Jeremy's lead, picking up where they left off. "I'm surprised it lets you eat and sleep."

"Not eating or sleeping would hinder productivity." He tried to mock the Squip's scolding tone to the best of his ability, and Michael laughed beside him. The Squip, on the other hand, was frowning, eyes narrowed, as it squatted down next to him.

You need to start listening to my advice.

-Is this where you tell me I have to obey you? Because that's not going to fly this time around.-

The Squip's frown deepened.

I'm only trying to help you.

-I don't need your help right now. The first week is always a wash, anyway. I'll cut back on my gaming time once I've actually stepped foot inside of a classroom. Promise.-

The Squip said nothing and turned to the TV screen, mouth still upturned and brows creased. Jeremy sighed quietly to himself. Never in his life would he ever thought he'd feel bad for the Squip so often. It was sulking. Its only real objective in life was to help its user, apparently, and he wasn't letting it do that. Not right away. If he was in the Squip's position he might feel the need to be pushy, too. It was probably frustrating and boring to just kind of exist, not getting to do what you were designed to do.