1. Meet our Plain Jane

It's getting dark outside. The red-orange rays of the setting sun have altogether faded into the horizon. The clouds that were bright white a few hours back have now turned gray and a slumbering moon has made its way up in the sky, haloed by expiring stars.

The air seems to have gotten thick, which means it must be getting late. I take a glance at my wristwatch. It reads 8 p.m, which meant that my work for the night is done at last.

I take off my apron in excitement and rush to the exit, while throwing a hasty goodbye wave to Jason. He smiles and chuckles in response. Ass. He often stays behind and works far an extra hour or two. I asked him once why did he work so late at night, and his answer was that he's got nothing better to do, which is frankly true. The guy was a serious nerd, with a boring, or rather non-existing social life. Pretty much like myself, I must say. Except that, to my own disappointment, I wasn't nearly as half the nerd he was. I actually had to study if I wanted to pass.

Jayson, or Jay, as I like to call him, is my co worker and also happens to be one of my best friends.

Okay fine. My only best friend.

As soon as I was outside the café, I begin to jog down the streets. Literally. I could feel some weird looks being thrown in my direction. Well it's not that my house was distant, but when I think about all the chores that had to be done, I can't help but rush my steps. 

Walking down the blocks, I felt strong gusts of cool air blowing past my face. It was a pleasant cold winter night. Dark but very much pleasant. It wasn't the kind of darkness that makes you feel anxious and uneasy. It was a soothing darkness, as the darkness of the night was shielded by a blooming moon. There was silence in the night, too. And you could hear it. Absolute silence prevailing over the agitation of the city. I started to slow down my pace to take in my surroundings. My senses were suddenly heightened. I felt the cold breeze hitting me gently and I closed my eyes for a second and just inhaled, inhaled the air around, the scent of the ground, maybe some burgers from around the corner.. I stood still a little longer despite the chillness of the air, eyes closed, head in the clouds, and my nostrils moving in and out. You don't often come across a quiet place in a town like this. This breath of fresh air had unloaded all of my tension and anxiety and in some way gave me a certain sense of calm. I hope it doesn't give me a cold though. 

I step into our small apartment and head directly to the kitchen, where I knew my mom would be. . I enter the kitchen and gasp as the usual sight comes to my view. Of course she'd be doing the dishes this late at night.

You'd think it's her hobby!

"Mom!" I snapped at her. "I can not believe you're still up. Here, let me finish those". I say as I move to stand in front of her and grab a plate from the sink.

"Honey it's alright, really. I got this. You go ahead and do your homework, would you?"

 "What? No mom! Look at you. Your eyes are shutting and you look like you're about to faint. And honestly who can blame you? You've been working for what? 15 hours? I have no idea how do you still manage to stand on your feet. Go get some rest and stop worrying about my studies. I got that."

I finally catch my breath and give her a mocking smile. Using her own words against her is always fun. Although my words might have came out as an order, they were definitely worth the shot because she soon gives in and nods.

 "Arguing with you is pointless anyways".

She admits. "But i couldn't have asked for a better daughter. Goodnight baby." She kisses my forehead and takes me in a hug.

"Night mom!" I say as I hug her back.

***** *****

Two hours later, I'm getting ready for bed. Saying that I'm tired would be an understatement. I feel like I've been hit by a giant truck. Each and every inch of my body aches. Though you'd think that after doing this on a daily basis for the last two years it would get less painful, but it just doesn't. And letting my mom do all the work is not an option either.

Housework is what she's been doing her entire life, seeing as she is a housekeeper. She works for some rich emperor. She isn't treated well nor is she payed sufficiently.

I, as well, work at 3 different part time jobs. The café, a small restaurant where i basically just do delivery, and a bookstore.

You see, my father passed away when i was ten. That wasn't the start of our misery though.

We were doing fine until two years ago, when Silver, my bitch of a sister decided that she was going to the US to study in what happens to be the most costing university ever.

Anyway, my mom started sending her loads of money monthly, weekly even. Whatever her highness asked for. And so our financial situation got from bad to worse. We were officially poor.

Though I always asked mom why couldn't we just keep the money to ourselves, seeing that we need it the most. She just gave me one of those glares that stand for 'are you out of your mind' and made that speech about how you can not abandon your own child, and then she'd just say that i wouldn't understand until I had kids on my own.

Something i wasn't looking forward to.

I have been living here in Korea since the day I was shoved out of my mom's vagina, meaning 17 years ago. I would be lying if i said i wasn't jealous of my sister. Leaving to the US has always been a dream of mine. Unfortunately, i have to stay here in order to take care of my mother and help pay the bills.

Silver is one lucky ass.

My name is Ivy by the way, Ivy Simmons.

**** **** **** ***** *** ****

A/N:

Did i put too many stars? Nah? Okay..

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO !!! The first chapter is here omg omg *o*.

Lol, I'm not gonna apologize and be like I'm sorry this chapter is short the next one will be longer', cuz honestly i have no idea whether its short or not. I dunno how long is short and how long would be long :( I'm going to work on this soon tho, promise! :P Anyway, let me know what you think, your personal judgment.. :) ( Comment).

But seriously u guys, having 20 reads but 0 votes is confusing, cuz u can't tell if the reads are real or not, i'm like wut? Why didn't they vote if they read this? Do they hate me that much? :(

So pleaase please, make sure you VOTE if u read the chapter :) Oh and also, the cast will be here within next chapter Yey! U excited? No? Okay :(

***Ily all my non existent readers :p

Ex oh ex oh. ~Mouna