Chapter One-The Woodland Realm

The she-elf walks carefully through the forest, knowing better than most the fragility and consequences of footfalls on paths. Her black feet are a shade darker than the earth and make no sound while she walks through the greenwood.

Long curls of satin cascade from her scalp down her back, blacker than the midnight sky. Her robes are made from the darkest jade silk and a crown of silver starlight perches just above her dark brow. Far above, her companion soars in the blue sky, no doubt a crisp wind ruffling his dark amber feathers. It has been an age since she walked through these trees, despite that, the branches still bend slightly as if to run their leafy hands over her head and vines seem to tickle her toes as if to say hello.

"It is good to see you as well, old friend," I whisper affectionately, smiling as the breeze rushes at me as if attempting an embrace. These woods aren't home, but still, they call to me as all great forests do. The earth sings with roots diving deep within it and rumbles softly with life because of the amount of them.

Lothlorien was the place I once called home, but it has been a longer time still that I have not. While my mother had made it quite clear what her thoughts were about travel, especially for a princess, I couldn't possibly go without. Lady Galadriel didn't bless my journey, but I didn't need her blessing. I managed quite well on my own. Well, I look to the sky, with some help.

Figuring it may do me well to acquaint myself with elven kind once again, I've decided to visit the elves of Greenwood. A mischievous grin takes over my face. At the moment I'm sneaking into the King's land undetected. It isn't exactly allowed, nor am I doing it completely on purpose. Sometimes it's just too easy and too tempting. So, I move silently in the great shadows the trees provide and avoid the sentries' eyes that linger too long in the trees and infrequently on the ground. It is only when I've reached the gate, do I foresee a problem.

At last, there are a few guards on the ground standing guard at the gate. Hesitantly, I take the crown off my head and tuck it away in my pack. Let us see what the king thinks of a stranger wandering into his kingdom. I step into the sunlight and walk confidently to the bridge. Shouts of surprise come from the guards as I cross it and a few withdraw their weapons.

"Seere." I bid them peace as well as my friend in the sky. Unsurprisingly, their weapons don't lower but their eyes do widen. It's not every day an elleth with skin dark as obsidian is seen. I'm able to walk almost to the door before they seize me by my arms.

"How did reach this point without being seen? Who are you?" A guard with long russet hair asks me in a disapproving tone, dragging me through the halls rather unceremoniously.

"I have come to visit King Thranduil," I announce smoothly. The brown-haired elf curls his lip up at my request. Roost nearby, dear one. I send the thought to Taryn in the air, then continue the less than smooth path with my two...escorts. While I'm dragged, I take the time to observe the Woodland Realm. I'd visited the woods before but had never been within the walls. Everything is carved from wood or stone and the lanterns cast an amber glow across every surface. The air is warm and welcoming, but I've heard rumors of the King's frigid disposition from long ago.

We come upon the throne room and I nearly laugh at the contrast of the king to his kingdom. He sits on his throne like a white gem in a gold crown, perched elegantly on his wooden seat with a rack of antlers the size of two bears stretching out to the side. Pale skin, pale hair, and pale blue eyes all adorn the king of the Greenwood, ironically wearing robes of the iciest blue. His son, however, wears a jade green like me and is looking at me confusedly. I shake my head slightly at him. The guards finally release me in the middle of his circular throne room hovering above all his kingdom. All guards leave us at the wave of his hand and finally, the ice king stands. My lip aches to curl in distaste. I do not care for this high and mighty King.