Chapter Fourteen-Wine and Dine

*Thranduil's POV*

Part of me enjoys Aeolin's nervousness as she sits next to me. I even find myself fighting a smile as she claims her wine and the entire contents vanish between her plump lips within seconds of settling so near me. I wave a hand over the table and the serving commences, but my eyes are far too often on the elleth next to me. Waiting. Her dark eyes wander over the table before her brows furrow in confusion at the plates of food. Roast lamb with rosemary, sweet potatoes with a sprinkling of brown sugar, baby carrots in brown butter, even a small dish of steaming peaches covered in fresh crust. I take a sip of wine to hide my smirk when she glances at me.

Her eyes snap to Elrond's and they stare at one another for a few moments, clearly communicating within each other's minds. No doubt Elrond is revealing that I had asked him what the elleth's favorites were for the chance to lift her spirits. And perhaps to see if I could surprise her as much as she is constantly surprising me. "Is the food to your liking, Princess?" I ask her teasingly and she looks to me before slowly serving herself.

"I believe you know that it is." She responds and drinks another glass of wine after her plate is full. My son whispers something to her and she nods with a small smile working on her lips. "I suppose I should thank you for thinking of me." She posits and my eyebrows raise.

"Will you?" I ask as her eyes examine me.

"Perhaps, but I would be upset if others at the table did not enjoy such delicacies as I do. I am not the only one to sit here." But you are the only one whom I would like to please. I think as I swirl my wine around my glass.

"You are not the only one who has favorites on the table, Aeolin." Elrond posits and hums happily at the sweet potato on his plate. She tilts her head to him in deference before looking back to me.

"Then you, of course, have my thanks." Her eyes soften. "I have not had such a feast in a hundred years." And I would gladly give you one every day if you wish such a thing. I bid silently as her shoulders seem to release some weight after her first bite. She carries far too much for one who bestows such light on the others around her. I should like to gift her the same if she'd allow me. I should like to take some of the weight from her.

"You can always request whatever you like and it shall be given to you," I tell her and a gentle smile graces her beautiful face. It's only when my son's eyes glance between us do I look away. "Legolas," I address him and Aeolin immediately smiles at his name. His mother would be glad he has found someone to care for him as she did. As she would have. "I hear you are to assist Aeolin in reacquainting herself with her weapons." He looks to her and she nods to confirm that she had told me. His loyalty to her is astounding. I admire it.

"Yes, Ada." Happiness trills through me at the happiness in his voice when he calls me father. "And you are welcome to observe, or participate along with us." My smile is near impossible to stop as Aeolin's eyes widen while looking at my son. Legolas smirks and shrugs. Her eyes return to mine with a trepidatious question held within.

"I shall consider it, amin utinu." (My son) His eyes stall on me a few moments more before he nods with a gentle smile on his lips. My eyes move back to the elleth who has a soft smile of her own as she looks to me. Suddenly, I wish we were alone so that I may ask why she looks at me in such a way.

"Then I am to assume you are not leaving with me?" Lord Elrond speaks after having searched us with eyes that have a talent for seeing too much. Aeolin's head shakes.

"Not this time, mellon. Although I still plan to come visit you and sweet Arwen before returning to Lothlorien. I must be at my best to travel and until I break my streak of laziness, I am not ready."