Chapter Nineteen-Reality

He remains all day and the possibility that's he might be real becomes more and more cemented in my head. Especially when Elrond comes by and interacts with him normally. The only time Thranduil leaves me is at his suggestion that he arrange a place outside for me to sit to revive me. Once he's gone, I grab Elrond's hand firmly and his amused eyes consider me.

"Thranduil is here," I state, but my eyes beg for confirmation. Elrond nods slowly.

"Yes."

"Why?" I ask instantly as confusion and a little bit of panic creeps into my slowly beating heart. Elrond settles onto the bed next to me and pats my leg under the blankets and Thranduil's coat.

"His son sent for him telling him of your state. That is all I know." He smiles at me and somehow there is less weight on his shoulders than before. "That, and the fact that you are stronger today." My lips part to ask him another question, but he has stood and walked to the door where Thranduil waits before I can.

"Are you ready?" He asks as he moves back to my side with a surprisingly open and concerned expression. I nod and weakly sit myself up before he's simply scooped me and all my blankets into his arms. My first instinct is to struggle, but I know I am far too weak. Besides, I feel stronger the more he is near. He carries me through Rivendell without a qualm and with his head held high for anyone to look upon us. I do not look around us, instead, I simply stare at this proclaimed ice king's face. It's smooth and calm and proud, as it usually is, but now holds a tint of something else. Worry and peace simultaneously. We arrive at one of my favorite places near the bridge overlooking the valley and he takes his time settling me into the pile of moss and quilts he'd assembled.

"Thranduil," I call as he tucks the blankets further around me as if swaddling a baby. His eyes snap to mine with concern. "what would you say to me if you were truly here?" My question surprises him because his eyes widen slightly and his lips part as he stares into my eyes.

"I...I would apologize." He starts and now I blink with shock. Carefully, he settles onto his knees in front of me without looking away. "Although you may understand, there is still no excuse for what I have said. The many things I have said. I would tell you that despite my years, I sometimes forget that there are creatures different than myself. And, at times, better than myself. Believing that one could lose love and a child then live, and live so beautifully, is nigh impossible for me. Much less could I imagine such a person being open and willing enough to allow love in again."

My breathing is turning ragged as he speaks, recognizing them as truth and knowing, certainly, that this is in fact the king of the Greenwood saying such things. His hands perch on my thighs over ten layers of blankets as he continues. "I would tell you that you did make me a better ellon, but that it was never something that changed in me. It was you. You make me lighter, make me think harder, act faster, and care more than I have in a thousand years. I'm only sorry it took your leaving for me to realize such things." My heart is beating more steadily than it has in days and the warmth of his words trickles over my entire body.

"I would command, plead, and beg for you to remain with me. To travel back to my kingdom when you're once again well and stay there, live there with Legolas and I. And perhaps one day...make a future." Long fingers remove the same paper with my drawing on it from under his shirt near his heart and this time when he unfolds it, I find the daisy I first picked him. Along with the daisy crown I made him. As we stare at one another the daisies begin to lift from their wilted state until they're alive and vibrant once again.

"Would you truly say such things?" I ask, breathless.

"I would." He swears and places the paper back next to his heart. "I do." There's no mistaking the care and honesty in those eyes, nor the pounding of my heart.