Chapter Three-Love and Pain

*Aeolin's POV*

I wake up in the morning to soft knocking at my door. Bleary-eyed and slow, I slip on a shining silver robe and open the doors to find the king in all his glory. Fully-dressed, might I add. Shock registers on his face and I have enough consciousness to laugh despite the warmth in my cheeks. "I am not always dressed before the sun, King." I wave him in as I walk to the dresser and pull out a simple dust gray and cream dress.

"I...by the Valar, do you have no sense of decorum?" He asks heatedly as I lay the robe on the bed and slip the dress on. I laugh again as he turns his back. It's thrilling to surprise him. To throw him out of his comfort so obviously shrouded around him like a child's blanket. It's worth the heat flowing through me and the thumping of my heart.

"I would have never guessed the King of the Woodland Realm to be so easily perturbed." I tease and fluff my hair a bit before moving back in front of the king. His eyes scan me carefully to make sure I'm decent before he seems to relax a little.

"I believe you mean respectful." He corrects and I nearly roll my eyes.

"Thranduil, have you ever traveled?" I ask out of the blue and watch his eyebrows rise interestedly.

"King to a common elleth." He corrects me and my eyebrows raise to signify I made no mistake. That fire is back in his eyes as he answers me. "On occasion, if it has served my purpose, yes." I shake my head at his response.

"No, for pleasure. When was the last time you did something simply for pleasure?" I ask him and plant a hand on my hip. He looks down at me with curious and slightly bothered eyes.

"Yesterday. In the rain." His answer is curt but shocks me. I smile slightly at what I take to be a compliment. "I'd like to join you for a meal." He utters coolly, but he seems a little more nervous than usual.

"I accept only if we eat in the courtyard." I gesture to my balcony. While my disguise as a common elf means I have no place requesting anything, his slight anxiety makes me think he'll allow it. My thoughts are confirmed when he nods and floats out of the room with me trailing behind. The table Legolas and I ate at the other morning is still present and we both sit down at it. Prim and proper, the king sits with perfect posture while I do the same, but mine is relaxed instead of stiff. I thank the elleth that brings our food while Thranduil only nods. Venison, squash, and carrots is the lovely breakfast served and I enjoy it while waiting for the king's inevitable questioning.

"Where are you from?" He starts and I smirk at being right.

"Lothlorien," I answer honestly and watch him nod.

"And you've been traveling?" Thranduil continues while barely eating his food. His focus is completely on me, it seems. A thrill trickles down my spine.

"For about a hundred years, yes," I confirm, fighting the slight sadness that bites at my heels. There was a reason I left, after all. "I have been everywhere." I lean forward a little, leaving my sad thoughts behind me. "Seen the white city. The depths of Erebor. Mountains covered in snow that sparkles like diamonds in the sun. Stone giants." Sighing, I relax back in my seat, aware of the King's searching eyes on me.

"And how did you come to accomplish such things?" He questions and now he leans forward slightly. A smile creeps onto my face.

"With cunning, kindness, and no small amount of charm," I answer teasingly and watch him nearly smile once again. "King, do you fear smiling?" His blue eyes widen at the question and my smile grows at catching him off guard. He shakes his head as if to erase my question from his mind.

"I do not think you have the right to ask me such a thing."

"Yet I believe I just have." I shoot back, my lips curling up and laughter settling on my tongue. Wide blue eyes stare at me. "I see you fight your smiles and wonder what they possibly could have done to earn such contemptuous treatment?" I continue my little joke and watch as he tries to come up with an appropriate comment that keeps him in control. Perhaps I like playing with this king far more than I should.