Chapter Eighteen-Hope

*Thranduil's POV*

When I receive the next letter, I only have to read the first line before I'm out the door and on my horse with a few guards around me. It's a hard journey to Rivendell, and far, but I cannot slow. That letter burns in my pocket along with the drawing and my son's words are on repeat in my mind.

She's dying. She tries to conceal it in front of those she loves, but all of us are aware and worried. What we weren't aware of is how bad she was. This past evening she was found asleep in one of her favorite places overlooking the valley, weak with skin cold as ice. Elrond carried her to her rooms and she barely ventures out. Only to see Taryn or sit on her step outside.

Adar, if you care for me at all you will not allow someone I love to die. And if, despite yourself, you can admit that you care for her then do not let her go. Perhaps there is still hope left. -Your son

Then there is the simple sketch of myself alongside Aeolin, smiling as perhaps she'd always longed to see me smile, with a little girl swinging between us and Legolas trailing behind.

*Aeolin's POV*

"No, leave the windows open please." I plead with Arwen and she nods, letting go of the windows that she was about to close. I reach out to her with my free hand as she settles onto the bed next to me. Legolas sits to my right, already holding that hand in both of his.

"But you're so cold." Arwen protests and I smile.

"The cold comes from me, sweet elleth, but the breeze from outside provides comfort for me. As do both of you." I look at both my friends who have become more like children to me. We'd filled in the holes in each other's hearts and while I fight, I'm afraid I might leave them another. "Listen to me closely. Both of you." I squeeze their hands and look between their soft eyes. "I love you both as my own children. This...this is not because of you nor could you have done anything to prevent it. Sometimes it is just the way of the world." Both are still so young, but they're also strong. They'll both weather this.

"Lin, I sent for my father," Legolas reveals and my eyes widen as his hands squeeze mine. "Hold on a while longer."

"My little sapling." I praise and sit up in the bed just a bit further for their benefit. "I have a while yet to go, but your father is not coming." Despite my words, the steel in his blue eyes does not soften.

"He may, Aeolin. He may." I'm not sure who he is trying to convince, himself or me, but either way, I nod and smile.

"Perhaps." I allow before squeezing his and Arwen's hands. "Now both of you go to your own rooms and rest." Neither move and I sigh.

"I won't be leaving your side." Legolas states stubbornly and Arwen smiles softly.

"Neither will I, Aeolin."

"You both speak as children." I chide with a soft smile and amusement in my voice. Legolas pouts.

"So be it. If acting as a child keeps you here, then I will do so gladly." A laugh slips from my lips, weakly, but audibly all the same. I reach up and skim Legolas' cheek with my hand.

"Even those as dear to me as you both could not convince my heart to stay. It must want to stay for itself and I'm afraid it's too injured." I tell them before relinquishing my hand once again. My chin gestures to the door. "Go now. I must sleep too." Reluctantly, both stand and move slowly to the door as if snowflakes fluttering down on a windless day.

"Go on then, the both of you." A voice hurries them and my head shakes slightly as he enters and takes Legolas' seat next to me. My eyes meet the soft grey of my friends.