Chapter Seven-Orcs

I leave the tired horse near halfway and instead run on the branches of the trees. They make me fly and I feel Taryn with me flying far above. It doesn't take me long to reach the edge of the forest and to spy the orc pack seemingly stopped to make camp. It's small. Enough to keep me busy, but easy to dispatch. I slide down the tree and unsheathe my sword only for my wrist to be caught by a hand.

"You are infuriating." The king hisses, the young guard behind him barely seen in the shadows.

"As are you!" I bite back. "If you wish to keep me here then you will have to tie me down." I swing my sword at his hand and he releases me just in time to keep his. Then I spin and sprint towards the camp. A quick message to Taryn keeps him high above me as I enter enemy lines. I kill five before they even know I'm there and have set fire to their mundane tents. That's when the fighting starts in earnest.

Orcs are stupid and slow, but strong and ruthless. They care nothing for their compatriots and wish only to see their opponents die. They're filth. Every drop that sprays onto my skin stains me, but watching them fall to the ground gives me more pleasure than anything. Fighting five at once causes a small slice across my shoulder, and a deep gash on my left thigh, but I'm still winning. I will still take each and every one down even if it causes me to fall. Soon I realize I'm not fighting alone. A flash of red and silver to my left reveals the head of the guard and firelight glints off the king as if he's a flame himself. Bodies fall all around us until all are dead and the guard walks around setting each on fire.

"Do you have a death wish?" The king asks and I turn to find his sword pointed at my throat. Fire glints off the silver prettily and as I follow the blade to his face. I'm surprised steam isn't pouring from his ears. Seething, I parry it away and stiffly take a step closer to him so we're a ribbons' width apart.

"You would have let these people be slaughtered and you're questioning my judgment?" The hand holding my sword is too tight, but it's all that's keeping me from slapping him.

"These people are of no consequence to me. You, however-"

I don't wait for him to finish. "Not of any consequence?" I burst. "Treasuring your people might make you a good king, but you have poor character to let others perish." I scold and his face remains distant and cold. I raise my sword to his throat now as his eyes widen. "To allow any mother to be taken from her child? A wife from a husband? A husband from a wife? A father from his children? How could you willingly allow someone else to feel such pain?" I ask and wait. I want his answer. His blue eyes are alight with anger as he stares down at me and I stare back. It seems as if there is nothing behind those eyes. Nothing. But I know that isn't true. "Answer me!" I shout.

"These are not my people!" He finally explodes and his nose brushes mine when he yells. His long arm holds his sword out to the village now safe and quiet away from us. "I would gladly allow them to feel such pain, more than such pain if I could keep my people away from it! Keep them safe!" The fire around us burns in the king's eyes but I'm silent. I'm fuming. "Which today includes you, so you will come back with me or I will tie you to me and drag you there. Despite your wounds." We stare off for a few beats before a sharp call has us both looking up. Panic strikes me.

"Don't hurt him, Taryn!" I shout as the king drags me behind him with an arm around my waist, sword extended. Taryn lands in front of us, nearly putting out all the fires with his wings. I sheathe my sword in his presence.

"She will go where she pleases when she pleases. King." He tells Thranduil as he raises his great self to his full height. The king meets my eyes with surprise as shove him away and limp towards the Great Eagle.

"I will return on my own," I tell him as Taryn bends down and I flop onto his back.

"Fine." Thranduil spits before we take off towards the great realm. The wind and fresh air do me good, but provide too much time to think. Everything is so confusing. My melancholy mixing hopelessly with this affection as well as my new anger. Slowly, my mind grows fuzzy.