Chapter Twelve-Avoidance

*Aeolin's POV*

The next week I spend avoiding the king altogether.

It's easier than one would think despite my annoying wounds. Lord Elrond and Legolas are kind enough to escort me wherever I wish and by the third day, I can walk relatively well by myself. Thin wrappings are all that are needed, so I'm nearly uninhibited. It's still unwise of me to shoot arrows and throw daggers, but occasionally I'll watch Legolas do so and offer suggestions to improve. The poor ellon really needs to practice more with a sword, but that can come later.

It's also a simple pleasure to spend time with Lord Elrond. He tells me tales of Rivendell and Arwen, including a tale of a rather handsome man that she seems to linger around. I laugh at this story in particular because Elrond is so very disgruntled while I'm intrigued. He keeps me busy along with my favorite little sapling. That is until he leaves.

"Are you sure you won't stay a little longer?" I question and he chuckles. We've taken to walking around the walls of the king's realm. Outside, so I can see the sky and breathe in the air. I've even been trusted with my sword again and I like its weight on my hip.

"I must return to Rivendell for I've already been gone longer than I'd like. You could always come with me, Aeolin." He tells me and the opportunity teases my mind once again. Something just seems to be holding me back from accepting. There's so much I still wish to do with Legolas, not to mention the strange emotions I've yet to decipher with the king. And our...near kiss. I cannot leave things so unresolved. "You still have two days to decide. Do not worry over it now." He soothes and I nod. Companionable silence descends over us before he speaks again. "May I ask why you seem to be avoiding the king?" He questions and my head snaps up to look at his knowing eyes.

"I'm..." I trail off when he raises an eyebrow. Sighing, I shrug. "It's complicated." He chuckles again and I smile softly at the sound.

"I'm afraid most relationships with this particular king are so." He tells me caringly, but that doesn't clear things up much. I hesitate slightly as my mind swirls with too many thoughts.

"After I was poisoned, I had a dream." Elrond's brows furrow and he stops. We're just a little way from the stables where I insisted we sneak out. By the Valar, I've grown pathetic.

"What kind of dream?" He questions as I turn to face him. I take a breath.

"I was in a meadow and...Aelrindel was there." Elrond's intuitive eyes widen and interest dances like fire within them. "He told me that the Valar sent him to give me strength. That I could not fade. That the Eldar would suffer. And...that he hoped another love would find me." I reveal and Elrond's brows furrow as he thinks. "What does that mean? Could it have been real?" I push on. His eyes burn into the ground before he looks back to me. I know what he's asking before the words leave his lips. "Of course, I'll show you, but Lord Elrond, I cannot help my emotions within my own mind. Not for very long, at least." My warning is clear, but I know it won't stop him. He cares far too much for me.

"In order for me to understand, I must see." He comments and gently takes my hands within his to keep us both steady. Carefully, we enter each other's minds and I bring up the memory. Sadness and joy mix strangely within the images as I replay the memory for him to the best of my ability. Tears prick the back of my eyes as I relive the goodbye, then it ends. "This is...interesting," Elrond speaks within the connection. "It is not exactly a vision, nor is it simply a dream."

"A dream?" I'm quick to extricate myself from his mind before thoughts of my...liaison with the king surface. My eyes open and I instantly avoid Elrond's gaze.

"I do not think I would disregard such a thing. Besides, the wish for another love from the Valar is not such a horrible thing. If maneuvered the right way." My eyes flash to his and my cheeks color at the knowledge in his eyes.