Chapter Thirteen-Festivities

At long last, I get to slip into the hot water of the spring and it soothes more than just my muscles. My mind feels more at ease within the pool. Still, the festivities tonight are on my mind as I untie the daisies from my hair and allow them to float around the pool. I'd been eating alone in my room or with Elrond or Legolas to avoid the king. So much for that. It might be nice to be around more than just my friends for a while anyway.

Just as I've decided, a knock sounds on the door.

"Princess Aeolin?" A female voice drifts in and I turn in the water to face the doorway. It opens and shuts and a flash of red instantly gives away the elleth.

"One moment." My voice is soft, but I know she'll have heard me. I exit the water and after patting myself dry, slide on a pure white slip. A glance at the water reveals all the daisies I'd shed. Humming a soft laugh, I enter the other room. "Tauriel?" I call and she faces me. We'd chatted as I helped Legolas with his training and I'd given her advice as well, but I would still name us acquaintances above friends. She faces me and bows.

"Pardon the intrusion, my lady, but if you are to attend the festival you'll need assistance with your gown." She tells me and I nod.

"Please, just call me Aeolin. It is my name after all." I insist and she fixes me with a happy, bewildered stare.

"Aeolin, then. I'm here to help you with whichever you've chosen." My eyebrows raise at the captain.

"Is that truly the job of a captain?" I ask and her gaze flicks to the floor, then back to me.

"The prince may have also sent me to encourage your involvement with the festival." My heart warms at the thought of a concerned Legolas.

"Of course, he did. Well, I would be glad of the help and the company." I nod to her and she smiles. Carefully, she helps me slip into the green dress and undo my wrappings. The marks are now no more than pink scars and I'm proud to see my body heal so well. Thanks to Elrond's skill and others...assistance.

"Should you like to glamour those?" Tauriel asks as I look at the scars. I scoff.

"I should think not. I worked hard for these." I'm half-teasing and enjoy the smile she gifts me. I've missed a female's company. "Could I ask for your help in another endeavor?" I question and she quickly nods.

Sunset is nearly upon us when she's finished and my hair is nearly all up in braids. Hilariously, I'm hurrying down the hall with my bare feet padding along the smooth wood until I reach the large doors. The king isn't here tonight, but his son is. "Legolas!" I call and his smile is bright as he turns to me.

"Aeolin! Mellon nin!" He greets me as I come to a stop. "You look well." He tells me as I wrap my arm around his.

"I had a little help getting ready today, ai lasse." (Little leaf) Legolas' expression turns a little sheepish and I laugh softly. "And I'm very thankful for the help and message with it. I look forward to perhaps dancing this time. Albeit slowly." Legolas perks up distinctly at that.

"Then I must be promised the first, Aeolin." He tells me just as the horn sounds and the doors open.

"I think I'd be upset if you didn't." I return and revel in his bright smile as we step out before the elves. All eyes seem to stall on us. However, there is only one pair of eyes that I care to see. Bright blue and captivating, his eyes are already on me when I walk in. There's a comfort to being around a large group of people with him. Less chance of anything unsavory. I send him a soft smile and he half-smiles in return. Elrond stands just next to him and I nod to him in greeting as he beams at me. My eyes are about to return to Thranduil, but Legolas apparently has different plans.