Chapter 10: The Hunter

Vampires were always odd to me. I was once scared of them. I used to be scared of the shows which featured theses dark and deadly creatures. Their species haunted my dreams while I screamed out in terror waking up to no one near my bed.

Fear was my only companion until 11 years of age when I started to feel rather comfortable with the idea of vamps. It didn't take me long to discover they weren't what they seemed and the fears were easily overcome.

However, I never would've imagined I would have a use for this information. Especially not the way I was using it for my boyfriend of not long. Edward was teaching me more and more about his vampire society every day along with demonstrating what a vampire truly was.

He was stronger than any man should possibly be. Even Hercules would be ashamed of himself if he ever encountered my Edward. Swifter than sound was enough to describe his practical and daily movements. I couldn't even manage to see his movements when he made them. Only blurry moments of vision when he moved gracefully as ever.

The most shocking was the recent discovery. Edward wasn't averse to sunlight. He had showed it to me once and I was in awe.

"Your skin..."

When I touched him, my eyes had to adjust to the bright shimmer of his skin. So divine was the texture and glow...it had left me stunned. My skin on the other hand...

"Don't think about it."

Edward said when I managed to look him in the eye. His hand was gripping mine and the contrast was right there. I couldn't seem to notice the beauty in mine until he kissed me deeply.

"You are my all."

His words were enough for me to stop doubting anymore. It was one of those afternoons when we hung out near the valley surrounded by daisies and grass. He would always ask me one question after another while I would try to answer them the best I could. Then I would ask him one question after another while he would try to answer them.

This became a routine until I had almost learned all I had ever wondered about a vampire...except how near was their end. It was obvious nothing could harm them. They were impervious to any earthly metals, organic compounds, and other deadly materials which any mortal like me would fear. I wondered how the society he seemed to always speak of in reverence kept their impervious kind in check while balancing the peace at all times.

When I asked Edward became tense and a bit more...absentminded. He had told me of his family encountering the final tragedy amongst his vampire allies. The Denalis—who were a Russian vampire clan now living in Alaska—had lost their mother at the hands of the trials against the society's rulers, the Volturi. I wouldn't ask him much despite my curiosity.

What did happen? How did the progenitor die? Was it possible I could ever lose Edward? I had gone cold with the thought. Several nights of mine now went in the serious fear of losing my love. What would happen to me if I lost Edward? I couldn't think anymore.

My heart died each night while Edward held back. I was afraid of alerting him so I tried to act happy and searched for any fault in my defenses. Alice helped along with Jasper. The others never knew much.

I kept it up all the while Edward stood by my side searching in me what was wrong. He was relentless but I managed to keep it to myself and diverted him from one occasion to another. But I couldn't let him know. I couldn't. If I ever lost him...

I'd die both inside and out.

__________________________________