Chapter 15: Who are we?

"The turning..."

My voice trailed off in an unrecognizable way. I couldn't believe the raw fear coursing through me. It affected me enough I couldn't control my mental shield and soon enough...

Bella?

Hell no!

I felt shivers go down my spine. If Edward was feeling the same, I didn't know for sure because he showed no emotion over his face. Good. He had to play along for this to work.

I looked deep into Sulpicia's eyes. The Queen was basically impenetrable but I felt something in me snap to get her complete attention. It was then someone from behind her lowered his cowl and whispered something to her ear. I projected to Edward.

What are they saying?

Marcus says we're soulmates.

For one reason, the words made me happy. For another, I felt fear in me subside long enough to draw in the protective shield. Edward's eyebrow twitched but I said nothing before Sulpicia faced me again with her chiming voice.

"It seems you're not wishing to turn."

I nodded. Thanks Edward. She nodded. "I can understand the feeling." Her eyes seemed less milky and more of a charming pinkish color. I didn't want to but I knew I trusted her then. Edward hadn't moved but I could feel the tension leaving his aura.

"I'm sorry for making all this fuss." My throat went dry. "I just—need more time."

Her eyes narrowed. "I understand. But know this, child." As if feeling evil stirring my skin crawled despite the Queen's tranquil aura. "You will die if you don't turn."

I wanted to snort but kept my urge within control. Looking deep into her eyes I hoped to get the point across. "I accept my destiny. And my destiny is with him."

I felt Edward touch my hand in a protective hold. My fear subsided completely and I saw a faint smile grace Sulpicia's face. She gave me a nodding approval as did the middle-aged man beside her—the one Edward called Marcus.

With a hand gesture, Jane was beside the Queen and they almost vanished but I knew they had just gone away with their freaky speed walk. Edward came near me when I heard everyone else sigh in relief.

I looked up into his dark amber eyes. "Are we safe now?"

He giggled and kissed my nose. "Yes, honey. We're safe."

"Always and forever."

****

It was finally over. I had finished my vacation with him and no one else would know anything. When I had asked Alice about what she had been talking with Edward before the attack—when I had found out I was pregnant—she said she couldn't see Edward for the first time then.

"Wait, what?"

Alice shrugged. "I couldn't see anything. But now I know it was you protecting him from me." She smiled at me with her glittering pearls. "Your powers are growing."

I felt my heart stutter. "So—"

So, none of them knew I was pregnant? None of them knew I was going to have Edward's baby? None of them had a clue?

The feeling of absolute silence rolled through me. None of them knew. None of them knew what was happening. But again, when I tried to think too much my pregnant brain went overboard and for once I was grateful for the memory loss from my quick saves.

Edward doesn't know. No one needs to know.

I felt a bit confident with myself and without a word I nodded. I could see the bafflement in Alice's eyes but I managed to pull the wool over her eyes which was amazing considering I had nothing else in my heart but fear.

Fear they'd hate me for the baby. The same fear my Mom had when she'd abandoned me. The same fear which I would have to face when my Father would face when I'd tell him the truth.

I wonder what would happen if he knew I'd gotten pregnant. Would he be over the moon? Maybe, don't?

I sighed while Edward drove me home. The threat of the vampire hunters was over. Now the Cullens were called to Volterra, Italy for a full council meeting. My Dad was due to return in a month or two.

"How long has it been?"

I wondered out loud. I hadn't kept count of the days since I whenever I was with Edward, the love making made it difficult for me to keep track of anything else. Plus, mommy brain was a bitch.

"Five weeks."

"Five weeks?" I shrieked. My baby was now stirring again. Again, how the heck did this happen? I didn't know but I felt it bouncing in my belly without restraint. It was all the truth I could afford to conceal for now.

Edward nodded giving me another sweet kiss on the bridge of my nose. His driving was fast. Then again, we were on the highway. Fast was in the name. But did he have to look at me so lovingly all the time rather than concentrating on the road?

"Watch it!"

He blew a raspberry and smiled. "I am watching it."

I rolled my eyes before kissing his knuckles in pure admiration of the celestial skin beneath the sunlight. It would probably cause some serious damage to the world if word got out. But so far, the glass was protecting us from the outside world.

"Come on, focus."

"I'll focus when we get home and have another..." He winked. "session."

I just giggled. "You're insatiable.'

He grinned and pinched my belly before returning to the road. I saw the sadness in his eyes. I knew it was paining him to go away on a trip to Italy while I was left behind in Forks. But there wasn't much choice.

"Your Dad won't be back until when?"

"2 months."

"Of which we have only a week left."

I sighed, hating the idea of seeing Dad miserable but knowing there was more than enough lies on my plate for me to handle already. It wouldn't do me harm to keep quiet for a minute or two more.

The rest of the drive went about smoothly. Edward left me on my bed, neatly tucked and fed before kissing me and going away silently with his volvo.

It's not a big deal.

I told myself but deep down, a bad feeling was making me feel uncomfortable. A storm was brewing and I didn't know what I would do to stop its assault on me and my baby. I just hoped we stayed intact.

What else can I do but hope? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 15 done! Now onto the next chapter! 

Thanks for reading! See you there! 

>o<