Chapter 14: Volturi or Volterra? Who are these Freaks?

Just when I had thought she was dead; the bitch came at me with her still burning body. No matter what she did, her body burned. I backed away towards the mirror when Edward flew in through the window.

Thank goodness he was there! I would've fainted otherwise. The struggle stopped when Edward knocked off the bitch's skull with a kick. Her head rolled around to my feet. I could literally see her eyes burning through into small indistinguishable rotten grapes.

My stomach heaved and my knees felt like spaghetti. Edward was beside me once more. I heard his sweet whisper. "It's over, honey. It's over."

Lungs adjusting to the stench of a now burnt rotting corpse, I closed my eyes and rested my head against Edward's shoulder. His body was too stony but I still felt comforted, despite the unyielding nature of his figure.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!"

An unknown voice spoke and my eyes flew open. I felt my baby twitch with fear. My heart was racing just as fast the baby's when Edward kept me surrounded within his arms.

"Alec."

I shivered when the vampire male smiled at Edward without a word. His teeth were shining with blood and soot. My skin crawled with the image but something told me I couldn't allow my shield down for one bit. I had to be strong. For my baby and for Edward.

"How long has it been?" Alec came forward with a friendly stance but I didn't buy it for one bit. My spine tingled with a known sensation. My powers...

"Five years."

"Ten." His eyes looked around and fell on Victoria's severed head. "Well, well, well, I think you have everything under control." He took it up like it was a bag full of chocolates. I could hear him sniff its scent before he winked at me. "Ms. Swan."

"Bella is fine." I said without defying my emotions. Alec's eyes narrowed but he kept his smart grin on. "Nice to meet you...Bella."

"Same here."

The vampire looked at me with intrigue and then looked over at Edward with a serious eye. "Aro is here."

Edward nodded. Alec gave him a thumbs up and then in a blink went away to someplace...

"Edward?"

My voice was beginning to break and I knew why. The power I used was making itself known in exhaustion. Edward set me down on the floor and allowed me to rest on his shoulder. His words were reassuring but I couldn't shake the feeling of dread inside.

"The Volturi are here, Honey." He whispered to me. "We're safe now."

Eyes drawing in, I was blacking out. I heard Edward's words in vague but my one concern was my baby. What about my baby? But I didn't ask.

After all, what are pregnant memories for? Bloody hell!

Next morning was just as eventful as the previous night, if not more so. I awoke to Alice, Esme, and an unknown face. My natural instinct would've made me freak out but my skin didn't crawl much this time. No danger was here I supposed and allowed myself to sit up for comfort.

My body felt like I'd been hit by a truck but no one needed to know that. I'd forget it soon enough. Esme was the first to say something.

"Como estas, mi querido?"

I just looked baffled and nodded. I didn't understand at first what she said though I will say, Alice was helpful later on.

"You've been out for a week." I could see the concern etched into their faces.