17. The Midnight Feast

"I clean forgot to mention this," I said, "but Mrs. Kim said that they're rationing water tomorrow."

"What?" Your voice was a strangled croak.

"Yeah, we can't shower tomorrow morning, or afternoon. So this evening's shower was the last. We can start showering at midnight tomorrow."

"You're kidding, right. Please, tell me you're kidding."

"No, I'm not," I said seriously. "They're rationing water because they're trying to cut down on waste. They're saving it for the animals. They need it more than us humans. They need to keep cool, because of, um, their skins, you know, it can get really hot for them. They need to take baths often, stuff like that."

I wanted to burst out laughing, so I fixed my eyes on your pallor to stop myself. "Are you okay? You don't look so good."

You didn't say anything, you looked as if you had frozen from shock.

"Tomorrow midnight?" you said faintly. "I've to wait until tomorrow midnight before I can have a shower?"

"We will just have to keep ourselves from sweating," I said cheerfully, " and avoid poo and mud and stuff like that."

"Every inch of this damn farm is covered with poo and mud. How are we going to avoid those?"

"How do you expect me to wait until tomorrow midnight to shower?" 

I chewed on my lower lip for a moment.

"I suppose if you want to bathe with greater frequency, you have every right to do so. I can't deprive you of your right."

I sighed, a great, big heartfelt sigh. 

"I shouldn't want to take water away from the animals," I said. "They need it more than us, and they have to keep cool, and drink lots of water, and get baths regularly, and - " 

"Yes, I know. The animals need to stay cool. You've said it twice."

"Right. They do. A sow died last year from heat exhaustion, Mrs. Kim said. I shouldn't like that to happen again, so I suppose if you want to bathe more frequently ... , " I paused, quite dramatically, and said, looking like a martyr, "well, I suppose I could cut down on my shower."

"Oh no, I wouldn't want you to do that. A girl shouldn't..." 

"I know, I know. You're a gentleman down to your very toes. You don't want to deprive a girl. But I can assure you, I am no ordinary girl..." 

"Obviously you are not," you said drily. Sarcasm? "But all the same - "

"No, no," I said with an expansive wave of my hand. "There is nothing else to be done. I cannot take water from the animals. You go ahead and shower twice,  and I - " I heard you groan. " - I will  NOT shower at all."

You had stopped speaking, and was staring at me with horror? revulsion? in your eyes.

"I'll be fine, just a little stinky perhaps."

"Fine for you, perhaps," you muttered beneath your breath.

I ignored you.

"It's a good thing I bathed just now," I said serenely. I felt like Yoda; very calm, very wise. "The memory of that shower will keep me strong through the long day and night ahead."

"Mina," you said in a terrible voice, "I really don't want to deprive you of your shower."

 "Oh, but if you want to shower once more tonight, and twice tomorrow - "

"I will not shower anymore today,  I will wait until midnight tomorrow, and you - you will do the same."

You gave me a sickly smile.

The day, I reflected as I brushed out my hair later that night before going to bed, had been one of the best days of my life. 

I looked at you, sound asleep on the bed.

I started to make my way over to the bed but was stopped midway by the rumbling of my stomach. Lord, I was hungry. It had seemed an inspired plan that morning to starve you,  but I had quite forgotten the fact that I would be starving myself as well.

Ignore it, I told myself. My stomach started to churn, and then to roar. I glanced at the clock. It was almost midnight. The house would be quiet. I could creep down to the kitchen and grab some food to eat, and be back here before you knew it. I could be in and out within minutes. Not bothering to don a wrapper, I tiptoed down the stairs, slipped around the corner, and crept through the small dining room to the kitchen.

I opened the fridge.

The light flooded out.

I almost broke down at the sight of the food.

"God," I muttered, cramming a slice of ham and a roasted drumstick at the same time into my mouth.  "I hate porridge." 

I shoved a piece of chocolate cake into my mouth, washed it down with a glass of milk, and then picked up another slice of ham. 

"Well, well, well."

I froze.

"What have we here?"

I swivelled around.

And yelped.

You were standing in the shadows, leaning against the wall, looking at me.

One corner of your mouth tilted up into a lazy smile, as you studied me with narrowed eyes.

"Having a midnight feast all by yourself, darling?" Your voice is silky, smooth as butter. "Without me?"

I swallowed.

"I'm hurt," you drawled.

You uncoiled yourself from the wall, and took a step towards me, a dangerous glint in your eyes.

Uh oh.

Help.