Chapter 5

"How would that work with school and practices here?" I asked. They looked at eachother, as if they already knew the answer. 

        "That won't be a problem," said the one on the right. "You won't miss any school, and you wouldn't miss any of your practices here. You would come over to our college on weekends, so that the team can get to know you and get some practice in with you."

        A moment of silence followed, and coach suddenly realized something. "I'm sorry, I haven't introduced you yet. Nicole, this is coach Roger," he said, pointing to the one on the left, "and this is coach Mitchel," he said, pointing to the one on the right. 

        "Nice to meet you," I said, trying to smile. I didn't really know if I wanted to join the college team. I played football for the fun of it, and if I was going to join a major team, I was hoping to join one with the people I already knew. "By joining now, how would that affect football for me later? Would I play for college again, or just continue?" 

        "You would have to make that decision. If you wanted, you could join our team now, and be a part of it this year, and then continue until you are in college, and then you could redo your college football years, while not missing anything of your current school activities, or your current football team at the highschool," said Roger. It seemed a fair enough answer, and it didn't affect anything that I was doing now in any critical way. 

        "What if both of the teams have a football game on the same day?" I asked. 

        "If that does happen, we'll make sure that you play with your highschool team, and if there's time, you would finish with us," said Roger. 

        A moment of silence, and, "Okay, I'll do it." That seemed to please the two coaches, because they reached out their hands, I shook them, and we said farwell for the time being. They walked back up to the bleachers to exit the stadium. With the coach, I walked back to where my stuff was. The guys hadn't left yet, apparently waiting for me to tell them what was happening, They were all staring at me. 

        "Well, who was that?" asked one of the guys. 

        "That, was acollege football coach, and they were interested in having Nicole on their team this year," said coach. 

        The guys all stared at eachother in awe, and then they all cheered and hooted, swarming around me and patting, more like punching, me on the back. 

        Looks like I'm playing on a college football team this year. 

        The next day, as soon as I walked into the front of the school, people stared at me. The girls, like they wanted to kill me, and the guys, like they wanted to congradulate me all over again. 

        The whole school seemed to have heard about it already, especially when the morning announcements pronounced: "And as a sidenote to this morning's school news, we would like to congradulate Nicole Ferner for being the first girl on our football team, as well as being our first student to be invited to play on the college football team."

        No one seemed to know who I was, because everybody looked around at eachother muttering "Who's Nicole?" 

        I think they learned who Nicole Ferner ws pretty quickly.