Chapter 18

The games proceeded all the same, except they knew what my number was, and people acrocc the bleachers would be holding up my white and blue number. We've won all of our three games that we've played so far. 

        My parents watch football every night now, but only when I'm playing. My old friends from highschool like to mess around and ask me for an autograph, then they sell it online for $1,000 at the least. It was annoying and incredibally embarrassing. 

        Our team was the one to watch out for in the NFL. There were so many offers from different football teams, saying that I could be sponsored by so many companies, I could be the face of so many projects, etc., etc. I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

        Of course, I trained even more. We were going to be going against teams that have beat others, so it means that they're going to be good, or better than us. Preparation is ideal to us winning and making it to the super bowl.        

        I was jogging to the gym, I no longer use my car for short travels, when four girls walked up to me, all at least six years old. They had blue and white jerseys on with the number 18 on the front, and FERNER was on the back, in bolf print. It was weird to see people, let alone kids wearing my number. 

        I slowed to a stop at the front doors of the gym, and one of the girls walked up to me. "Hello Nicole. We were just wondering if you could sign our posters," she held out four posters with my in my uniform on the field, a football being prepared to be thrown, by number clearly visible. 

        I smiled down at her, "Of course, what are your names?" I asked. I took the marker from the girl, whose name was Melanie, and signed her name on a poster, putting a long message on each of the girls' posters, to Melanie, Noah, Hallie, and Granger. I had some time on my hands, so I sat with the girls on a park bench for about thirty minutes. 

       It turns out that Melanie wanted to play Hockey with the rest of the guys, but she was afraid to be rejected and humiliated. She wasn't exactly old enough to join, but I told her that before and when she comes of age, to practice as much as she could, but to always put school first. "You need an intelligent mind to be a great player. 'If you have the strength, you can be a player. If you have the mind, you can lead the team to victory.'" 

        The other girls each wanted to play baseball, football, and wrestling. And each of them got that same advice. Then I asked, "Where are your parents? Do they know you're here?" I asked. They pointed across the street where I saw a man sitting on a bench, working on his laptop, occassionally glancing up at his kids. "Okay, well you four have a great day, and try out for the team. I'll be waiting to see your names' on magazines when you acheive great things." I smiled down at them as they walked away.

        When I went into the gym, I thought about those kids as I ran on the treadmill. 

        I hope their determination rubs off on me for the next game. 

        I need to train hard for them. 

        For those counting on me to win the game. 

        For the little girls watching.