Chapter 8

The vibe is better. I no longer feel the guilt of my betrayel, and I can now go through the school days and smile when I'm congradulated for the game's win. I'm not a popular person though, I don't want to be. The only reason so many people know my name, is because of my place on the team. I'm mostly known as number 14, but that's fine by me.

        The games have been going smoothly. So far we're undefeated, and throughout the county, we're a feared team. I love to play the games, it's the best part about football, but something that comes in second place, is the fact that everytime, at the end of each game, when I pull off my helemet, the guys on the other team just gape at me. "Number fourteen's a girl!", "Is that even allowed?", "We were beat by a girl!". It never gets old. 

        Today's game is against the ones in green and black. They're all a big bunch, with beefy shoulders and tall figures. Very intimidating. We're all out on the field, waiting for the game to begin with the blow of the whistle. I'm ready to receive. Then the whistle blows. The ball is thrown back to me, I catch it, I look up to see if there was an opening, if there was anybody to throw to.

        There was no one. I knew there was no one. Although there was a person who was able to catch it, they would be able to run a yard without being trampled by the guy behind him. So I take the chance, and I run with the ball. I weave between people tackling, I run past opponents, and I jump over fallen team mates. The one who was open was already tackled. 

        It was just me. Two people were running after me. No one was in front of me. So I run faster. That was my only advantage at the moment. And soon they were falling behind, and soon the touch down was made. The crowd cheered, and the team ran at me, slapping my helemet, and soon I was in a dog pile. I take the goal kick, and we have a score of nine.

        They had the ball now. I was standing in front of the biggest. I'm waiting for the whistle to blow, and when it does, I charge the dude full on. I don't usually try to pummel people too much, but my height gives me an advantage. Neither of us can tackle the other, so we're just having a restling match as the ball is thrown across the field, and it's an incomplete interception. 

        We release our holds, and get back into position. I look to the guy next to me on my team, and I signal to switch places. I figured I could tackle this smaller kid, and then run to help intercept. The call is sounded, and I pummel the kid to the ground, and then I start running to the open person on the opposing team on our side of the field. The ball is thrown to us, and I jump in front of the ball, and I catch it, and then I start running. That's pretty much how the game went. We score, they try, we intercept. 

        I didn't do everything. Not at all. I even messed up a couple of times, but it didn't mess with our scores. I dropped the ball accidentally when it was thrown to me, but son retrieved it again. The game ended with a score of 30-6. 

        Two game later was when it happened.