A Friend for Krillin

Photo Creds: pacman23 via deviantart

"Come on shrimpy, don't you have any fight left?" The monk sent yet another kick to Krillin's soft stomach, making the victim recoil into fetal position. He was only eleven years old; a mere boy among these brusque men. It didn't help that he was abnormally short either, and therefore the punching bag of Orin Temple. "Aww poor pip-squeak, look at him struggle!" Another wicked voice rang out and fanned the flames within Krillin's heart. With all the might in his bruised body he tried to make himself at least sit up but his arms shook at the task. The youth barely had time to fight back when pitted against three potent and solid beasts. Then at the end of the beating, though he had the heart to fight, he hadn't the energy and it was at that point Krillin knew he was the loser for the day.

For years he endured these beatings by the people he was supposed to look up to. They were supposed to be peaceful, generous, and reliable folk but something selfish within told them to be the opposite. Those...bastards. The more pure hearted monk cursed bitterly. This time he couldn't run and squeeze himself into a safe spot. He was trapped like an animal, preyed upon, and left to be devoured by vultures. They think they're so tough just cause they're bigger than me. That seemed to be a reoccurring pattern in the young fighter's world; the abuse of power. Every strong guy he'd ever met was a self righteous bully and no matter how much he tried to fight against them it was utterly hopeless. Even if he caught up to his bully's level it was too late. The beast was constantly evolving and keeping the power gap wide. Damn it. The feeling of weakness was one that inspired a sick vengeance. One day, I'll show them all.

It had been two years since that promise was made and the thought of it made Krillin's skin crawl. All the anger and hatred he felt at that time made him wonder if it was all worth it. For quite some time now, he was an honorary student to the Turtle Hermit. He put his soul into improving, even if it meant being absolutely drained by the end of the day but in the fighter's perspective it was better to be worn out from a good workout than a good beating. However, the short one was not alone in this because he had Goku; the strange stocky looking kid who could barely read yet more than capable to beat someone to a pulp.

At first, the kids were even. Both of them were determined, strong, and pretty short. Krillin was sure to keep up with Goku with the thought of his past hanging over him. Not this time, became his odd little mantra for success. The bald one could see there was something strange about his training partner. Yes, they did have the same routine but Goku seemed to have that little bit of extra stamina, speed, strength, and it was for that reason he would always hate the spiky haired boy.

As days turned to months, and as Krillin realized the true naive nature of Goku, he began to think that maybe this guy wasn't like the rest. The paranoid side of his brain debated him; maybe he's pretending to be a big dummy so I can trust him. And after that who knows what he'll do! If that were true, then Goku was putting on one hell of an act. He even went as far as to make small talk with the monk, and ask a bunch of questions that Krillin couldn't find the motive for. They wore the same gi and while that made the shorter one feel like they were connected, the last person he shared a uniform with was his dearest enemy. So far, all his assumptions were proven false and maybe, just maybe, Goku was Krillin's friend after all.

One night, after having a hard work out and a big meal, the two sat on the beach to admire the rest of their afternoon. It was a peaceful, sunny, beautiful day but inside Krillin felt rather stormy and anxious. He knew he had to be quick about this before losing his nerve. "H-hey, um Goku, quick question."

"Yeah?" The wild boy's eyes remained on the horizon, giving the inquirer a sense of comfort.

"Would you...beat anyone up who was uh weaker than you?"

"No," he replied immediately, "only if they're bein' real evil or somethin'."

As far as Krillin knew, he wasn't a bad guy but strangely, that didn't give the satisfaction he craved. "Hmm, what if they aren't evil. They're just weaker than you, what then?"

"Nah. I ain't one o' those jerks. Why d'ya ask?" Now the brunette's full attention fell upon Krillin. Those eyes seemed to burn holes.

"Oh, uh...n-no reason! J-just curious is all haha!"

The little martial artist's stare lasted for a few seconds longer, as if deciding if his partner's words were true. Well Krillin's always a lil weird. And with that, Goku continued to enjoy the sun. For a few minutes the pair remained silent, it was a tough work out today, just another session closer to the tournament and the two of them had mixed emotions; worry, excitement, doubt. The list was lengthy between the boys but regardless they went through each day with vigor.

"Goku?"

"Uh-huh?"

"Are we...friends?"

The child looked his buddy over carefully. "Duh. You're my best friend, Krillin. I mean, I guess Bulma is too but with me 'nd you it's different." Then there was that smile; big and genuine.

Finally, after all these years, after all the built up pain and fear, Krillin had a friend to call his own. Someone to trust, and laugh with, someone to help him see the good in others no matter how difficult. But most importantly; someone to look up to.

8.9.19-8.16.19