It Rains, It Pours

Art Creds: LoliKata on deviantart

Scenario: Vegeta takes care of his family during one of the worst storms of the year.

"Hold on to your hats, everyone! This should be the biggest thunderstorm of the year! Our expert meteorologists say it should be over by the morning however-" Bulma clicked the TV off and finished brushing her hair. Vegeta was already laying in bed with arms folded over his chest.

"Woman, hurry up and shut the lights off. I'd like to get to sleep before the sun comes up, you know."

"Aww you're just saying that cause you want me to tuck you in, don't you?" The woman flipped the switch off and mosied on over to bed.

"Pfft, no! I'm more than capable, Bulma, but you I'm not so sure." He watched like a cat as she slid herself beneath the covers. Since it was summertime, Bulma did what any normal person would do and only covered her legs with a sheet. The ex-prince threw a blanket over her head. "You're supposed to be covered, it's not exactly hot in here."

She made it a point to roll her eyes. The only reason why it was cold in the bedroom was because of the air conditioning. Outside it was a stuffy, humid night. "Thank you, Mr. Overprotective. Goodnight." She laid her head on his chest and his arm instantly encircled her waist.

Probably thirty minutes had passed before a loud rumbling shook the heavens but Vegeta didn't flinch. Tonight his insomnia was the worst it had been in several months but as usual there was no definite reason why. The man was only lucky to have Bulma because her presence helped him relax. Soon after that first warning, a giant flash of lightening filled the room but again the ex-prince remained still. He had seen far brighter light shows. However, it did make Bulma wince and Vegeta affectionately rubbed her back to assure her.

Not even a minute later and a gigantic crack of thunder seemed to break the sky. Sounds like a fucking explosion. The saiyan winced in more annoyance than actual fear. Bulma on the other hand, practically jumped out of her skin.

"Holy shit!" Her ocean eyes looked about worriedly. "Did anything just break? Should I check on the kids?"

"It's fine." He lied, knowing damn well he felt Trunks' ki jump. "Go back to sleep, it's just a passing storm." He eased her back into bed and back into the safety of his strong arms.

"Hmph. Stupid storm. That really surprised me."

"Don't worry. I'll protect you from the big bad thunderstorm."

"Shut up." She closed her eyes and once again melted into him.

Unfortunately, no matter how much he secretly enjoyed holding her, the weather wanted nothing more than to break them apart. Yet another bang of thunder came and shook the entire house, resulting in another one of Bulma's upstarts.

"There's no way Bulla didn't hear that. She must he scared to death--"

"She has Trunks. That's why we put them in the same room, isn't it?" Regardless of the saiyan's argument, he could feel his son's ki advancing towards them.

"Yeah, but they're both just kids." She cupped his sharp jawline. "Why do I get the feeling that you want the kids to stay over there? Is it cause you want us to be alone, Vegeta?"

It's like she's trying to be a pain in my ass. The man scowled when she pinched his cheek.

"I'd prefer to keep my share of the bed is all."

He remembered years ago when Trunks was a kid afraid of a thunderstorm or the dark, and he almost always ended up sleeping with his parents. He's just a kid. Bulma said sympathetically before scooping the child up and squeezing him right between the couple. Somehow, with the addition of one kid, Vegeta found he took up a majority of space. It didn't help that Trunks twisted and turned just as much as his mother. It wasn't always something pertaining to fear that forced Trunks to share a room. On another occasion, when Vegeta came home late from training, the hybrid waited all night for his return. The two talked about their day, and eventually the conversation dragged into the morning. By the time the sun was up, Vegeta found Trunks sleeping soundly beside him. At least that time he wasn't squirming.

"The last time-"

But there was a shy little knock on the door that interrupted him, and a crying baby to go along with it. "I'll get it, you grumpy." She tousled his hair before hopping off the bed and letting her son inside.

"Mom, I tried to get her to go back to sleep but she wouldn't stop. It's a lot harder than it looks."

"That's okay, you tried your best, kiddo." She plucked the little newborn out of her son's arms. "Aw, did the mean storm scare you, Bulla? It's okay daddy will make it all better!"

Of course, Vegeta couldn't shut off his paternal instincts unless he provided for his daughter in some way. In silent agreement he opened his arms and recieved the screaming bundle.

"Dad, can you really make her be quiet?" The youth hopped onto the bed with wide, interested eyes.

"Of course, it just takes time," He replied and rocked the small one within the bulk of his arms, "and you have to be gentle otherwise you'll upset her further. Worse, you can hurt her." Bulma sunk back into her pillow and admired her little family, especially Vegeta who went out of his way to teach Trunks something about being a father. It was amazing the kind of transition he made, from being a killer to a man with two kids.

Trunks, already thirteen, sat on his haunches between his parents, his eyes never leaving Bulla's tear stricken face. He wanted to help raise the baby and to learn to be a big brother even if it meant loosing some sleep. "How long can she cry for?"

"Depends. Right now she's just scared." He changed tactics and began to bounce Bulla a little. "You have to make your presence known to effectively comfort her." Slowly, the trickle of tears began to stop and the quivering of her lip went limp. Trunks, glad to see Bulla was feeling better, leaned against Vegeta's arm, smiled and admired his baby sister.

"Wow! You're an expert, dad!"

"It's instinct," the saiyan boasted, "it takes practice, that's all."

Bulma let out a small chuckle. Yeah, try saying that to the parenting books I found in our library.

"So, I'll be as good a dad as you one day too?"

"Pfft. As good? No, you'll be even better." Vegeta freed one of his arms to pat Trunk's head. The saiyan could feel the corner's of his lips tug into a smile but he didn't try to hide it this time‐- even if Bulma would tease him all night for it.

2019