What We Are

I smiled up at Gabriel. The rest of the day we sat on the sterilized floor of the white room and talked. We discovered our new abilities. I had small blasters equipped in my prosthetics and Gabriel could teleport across the room, but he couldn't seem to teleport out of the room. That was probably for the best. We were brought food in the middle of the day and continued to talk. A holo monitor appeared on the wall and streamed a live news channel. The reporter read off a familiar series of names. Several pictures of Overwatch agents appeared on the screen, including my own. The reporter claimed everyone on the screen dead and that Overwatch was officially disbanded. There was a picture of McCree on the screen. I felt tears welling up in my eyes.
"McCree is gone too?" I said sniffling.
Gabriel chuckled.
"He's not dead. He came to visit a few days ago, but he was scared of me. He ran away."
"Scared of you?"
"Look at me Y/N. I'm a ghost. A monster."
"No, don't say that Gabe. I won't allow it."
Just then the door slid open. Moira stared solemnly.
"It's time for him to rest Y/N." She said.
I sighed.
"Can I see him tomorrow?"
"Of course. Come now. You should rest too."
I nodded and stooped down to give Gabriel one final hug. There was a faint smell of burnt skin on him, but I could hardly smell it. We both gave one another a soft grin. I followed Moira back down the hall to my own room that I woke from. I could hardly sleep that night. The thought of everyone I knew being gone was too much to handle. Everyone I knew, but Gabriel had been wiped from existence, including Jack. Of course Jesse was still alive, but something told me that I would probably never see him again. Jack, the one person I had grown to love and appreciate was taken from me, and now the world thinks I'm dead.

The next morning was quiet. Gabriel and I shared a pot of coffee. I watched Gabriel cringe at the bitterness of the Irish blend. He coughed softly into the back of his hand.
"Sorry, that's all we have."
He chuckled quietly.
"It's better than nothing." Gabe said. "I still can't believe he's gone."
I sighed and looked down into the mug on my lap.
"Meniether."
There was a silent moment of mourning.
"Can you explain something to me?"
"Hm?"
"What kind of relationship did you have with Jack?"
"We met a long time ago in the soldier enhancement program. We got to know eachother a bit more and started dating. I was later asked to lead a program of special individuals in an attempt to stop the omnic crisis, but Jack lost sight of my feelings as when he became commanding officer. In an attempt to show him how I felt, I made our relationship feel like hell. I made him my bitch. There was no way for him to get out of it. At the very least he was getting a taste of his own medicine. I wanted him to know how it felt to be put down.
"Oh my god Gabriel, I-I had no idea."
"That's why I acted rash when I found out he was cheating on me with you. I-I'm sorry for throwing you to the floor Y/N."
"It's ok Gabe. You were upset. If I had known you two wer-"
I gasped when I felt Gabriel's cold lips against mine. He held my head with his hand. He broke the kiss and sat back down. I stared at him shocked.
"I-I'm sorry I shouldn't have-"
I grabbed his arm pulling him back in.
I gently sucked his bottom lip. He moaned my name into my lips and broke the kiss to take a breath.
"Damn."
The door opened to reveal Moira.
I need to-oh, was I interrupting something?" She said.
I sighed in disappointment.
"What is it Moira?"
"I've got to run a quick test on Reyes."
I sat back.
I turned to face her and nodded leaving the room. I went to make more coffee.

Moira pushed a button on the sterilized wall. A thin bed dropped down. Gabriel sat on it while Moira checked his pulse. He was very distracted. Moira looked up at him.
"Not what you were expecting huh?" She asked.
He did his best to not show emotion. She looked back down and read his blood pressure.
"I assume you thought she would-"
"I didn't assume anything doc." Gabe said sharply.
"Oh c'mon Reyes. I love where this is going. Why don't you tell me how you really felt. Cause kisses are not meaningless."
He sighed through his nose looking to the floor.
"So many things ran through my mind as soon as I saw her face. So many mixed emotions in such a short amount of time. At first I was happy to see another person I knew who wasn't dead. I wanted to run and hold her in my arms, but I was worried that she would be scared of me like Jesse was. The look on her face said otherwise. She also looked relieved. So we both went for it trying to hold eachother." Gabe explained.
He held his hand out and watched it turn to smoke.
"This thing that you have made stopped me from reaching the one person I have left."
Moira stared at him solemnly.
"This is what is keeping you alive Gabriel."
"Talon just wants a weapon. They took away my clean death. The one thing that would put me to rest was stripped away."
"Gabriel I-"
"If you're done doc, I'd like you to leave."
Moira sat up and took her stethoscope away. Her face filled with unsatisfaction and she headed for the door.
"I suggest you tell her what you both are to Talon, other than a mistake." Moira said leaving the room.

I came back with a steaming pot of coffee and bumped into Moira on the way into Gabriel's room. Her sly face stared down at me giving me chills.
"I leave you two be." She said walking back down the hall. I walked back in letting the door close behind me. Gabriel's face lit up when he looked at me. I smiled back and filled his cup. He eyed it grossly.
"I-I saw something online that said if you had a bit of salt to your coffee it gets rid of the bitterness. I put a bit in. Try it now." I said.
Gabriel took his cup and raised it to his lips. His eyes widened quickly when he took a sip. He swallowed hard guzzling the coffee.
"This, this is much better." He said happily.
"Well, I'll be sure to salt the coffee from now on then." I replied.
"I'm sorry about earlier, I dunno what came over me."
I sat next to him on the bed and rested my hand on his shoulder. My fingers found their way through his hair. Gabriel turned his head to face my glowing expression. I opened my mouth to say something, but retracted. Then opened it again to continue.
"C-can we do it again?"

💀Hello readers! It has been such a pleasure to write this book. I honestly didn't know what direction I wanted to go with it until chapter 10. Thankfully I was able to come up with a plot twist that I liked and I could mess around with. Now that we are at this point I am  beginning to enjoy writing this more and more with each passing day! I hope you all enjoy it just as much as I do and thank you for reading this far!~Maddy💀