SIX

CHAPTER SIX
ANA THE ANGEL

GREG DIDN'T PICK DIANA UP WHEN HE SAID HE WOULD

GREG DIDN'T PICK DIANA UP WHEN HE SAID HE WOULD. As a matter of fact, he didn't pick her up at all. She called his house, but his mother said he had already left. The night was growing old, and Diana was becoming more and more irritated.

She suspected that his absence had something to do with their argument earlier that day—which was something she was still conflicted by. It wasn't the fight itself, but it was how the discussion played out. Somehow, Greg managed to turn the situation on her. He left her feeling guilty and confused, making her regret even talking to him. But after thorough thought, she concluded that he was in the wrong.

So there she was, pacing in the foyer of her house while her parents argued in the living room.

Her siblings watched worriedly from the top of the stairs. Truthfully, they always worried about Diana. She was too young to remember the worst of their parents' fights and with that came a sense of innocence—the kind that they had lost. Diana had been through a lot, but she was the best of them. They would always try their best to protect her and they would always try their best to do right by her, even if it annoyed her at times.

"Why hasn't she left yet?" Allison wondered. "It's almost ten."

James leaned against the bannister with furrowed brows. "That son of a bitch," he said in quiet realization. "He stood her up again."

His sister turned to him. "What?"

"This is the forth time Greg has stood her up in three weeks." James explained. He wore a concerned look on his face as he stared down at his little sister. He left Allison and grabbed his keys from his room. He started walking down the stairs, his footsteps catching Diana's attention. "You need a ride?" he asked, "I'm on my way out anyways." He wasn't actually on his way out, but he knew that Diana wouldn't accept his offer if she knew that.

Diana sighed and glanced at the clock on nearby wall. "You wouldn't mind?"

James shook his head and walked past her to open the front door. "Come on, kid."

Diana followed him out to his car, giving Allison a thumbs up when she heard her yell to be safe. Her brother's car was a lot nicer than hers and in many ways resembled the guy who drove it. On the outside, it was clean, sleek, and intimidating. But on the inside, it was soft, warm, and harbouring the latest Prince cassette.

The drive wasn't long. Tina lived a mere five minutes from the entrance of the Loch Nora neighbourhood, but it was the silence that made the drive feel like an eternity.

When the two siblings passed their community's welcome sign, Diana broke the tense air. "What's wrong?" she questioned, fiddling with her headband.

Her brother's grip tightened around the steering wheel and his eyes never left the road. "He stood you up again."