EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
WHAT'S LIFE WITHOUT A LITTLE RISK?

A WEEK HAD GONE BY AND IT WENT EXACTLY HOW BILLY SAID IT WOULD

A WEEK HAD GONE BY AND IT WENT EXACTLY HOW BILLY SAID IT WOULD. It was like whatever relationship Billy and Diana had never happened. They went their separate ways, acting like they were nothing more to each other than English partners.

Billy was plagued with regret. Memories of their time spent together taunted him at night. Like a bittersweet film projected onto the ceiling of his bedroom or a ghost that haunted every corner of his mind. He knew there was no negotiating. He cared about Diana too much to take it back, and he had already caused her enough trouble.

Diana wasn't doing too well either. The week was long and everywhere she looked, Billy seemed to be there. Every corner she turned, he was flirting with some girl. Every time she walked by the cafeteria, there he was, sitting with her old friends with a bored look on his face. English class was the worst. She could feel his gaze on the side of her face every so often and it didn't help the fact that she was trying to get over him.

She told herself that it was barely a relationship. They never went on a date. They only kissed twice. But no matter what she tried to trick herself into believing, it still felt worse than getting over a breakup. She was mourning the loss of something that she never had in the first place.

Diana was at a loss. She didn't understand how he did it. How did he manage to make such a mess of her so quickly? How could he pretend to be okay? If there was anything the past week proved, it was that having Billy in her life was easier than going without.

The week wasn't the best for either of the miserable teenagers. The universe was torturing them, evident by their presentation at the end of the week. Both were dreading it.

It was Friday morning. Diana had already finished a cup and a half of coffee and Billy had already picked a fight with both of his parents. They both knew what waited for them at school, and that was each other.

Diana pulled into her parking spot and cut the engine. Moments later, a blue Camaro pulled up and parked right beside her. Billy hadn't parked beside her in a week, opting for a spot across the lot in an attempt to avoid her.

She took a deep breath to prepare herself for the day. A loud knock caused her to jump in her seat, almost spilling her coffee all over herself. Turning her head, she saw Billy standing outside her window.

A long sigh fell from her lips as she grabbed her backpack from the seat beside her and opened the car door.

"Hey," Billy greeted.

"Hi," she replied, her voice stiff and short.

Billy placed a hand on the top of the door, trapping her in front of him. His eyes softened as he studied her and he asked, "How've you been?"