SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
JAMES' IMPECCABLE INSTINCTS
tw: depictions of violence

LATER THAT NIGHT, DIANA SAT ON THE STAIRCASE WAITING FOR BILLY TO PICK HER UP

LATER THAT NIGHT, DIANA SAT ON THE STAIRCASE WAITING FOR BILLY TO PICK HER UP. He wasn't supposed to pick her up for another fifteen minutes, but she was excited and couldn't wait. James and Allison teased her endlessly and even her mother drunkenly commented on how dolled up she was.

A fluttery feeling settled into the pit of her stomach. She had never felt this nervous for a date before—which was saying a lot because she had experienced quite a fair amount. It was a foreign feeling, but it was good. It made her feel like a normal teenager, and normalcy was needed in the Blake house.

Fifteen minutes came and went, but Billy never showed. Diana didn't think much of it at first, so she decided to wait. Maybe Billy was just running a bit late. But then fifteen more minutes passed, and Billy was still nowhere to be seen. Then another fifteen minutes, then another, then another. Soon enough, it had been an hour and half since the time the date was supposed to take place.

James and Allison watched from above as their little sister started making her way up the stairs. She wore a defeated look on her face and her sadness was evident. The oldest Blake gave her a small smile. "Maybe he's just having car troubles."

Diana shook her head, her stare empty as she passed by. She felt like a fool. "No," she said, pushing her bedroom door open, "he's not coming." Then she walked into her room and gently shut the door behind her.

The two other Blakes shared a look. Allison's eyes filled with sympathy, while James' were filled with disappointment. "I thought he was better," the latter muttered to himself.

Before Allison could stop him, he was already halfway down the stairs.

Their mother was on the phone when James entered the kitchen. Reaching above the fridge, he grabbed their phonebook and flipped to the 'H' page. When he found the number he was looking for, he took the phone out of his mother's hands and ended the call she was on.

"James!" Estella protested. She was catching up with her old friend, Mary-Lynn, when her son interrupted.

James angrily dialled the Hargrove's number and waited as it rang. The call picked up on the fourth ring. James didn't wait a second before giving the person on the other end a piece of his mind.

"Listen here, you little shit," James started rather aggressively. "You think it's cool playing my little sister like that, huh? Make her feel special just to ditch her? She's been through enough, she doesn't need you flaking on her too. So if I ever see your face again, I'll bash it in. Do you understand?"

There was a silence on the other end of the line. James waited a moment for a response, breathing heavily as he did. There was a shuffling on the other end before a low chuckle sounded. "Tell whatever whore my son is sleeping with that he's not home. Call this number again and I'll call the cops."