1

"They're back."

These same words haunted me the whole day. Everyone kept whispering those words.

It was my first day of Senior year so I was naturally quite busy sorting out more important things.

I didn't care who the hell came back. I needed to focus on being early for all my classes and taking all the right notes. This wasn't just any year. This was SENIOR year, and I needed to graduate Valedictorian.

When school ended, I was so focused on memorizing my schedule I didn't notice when a very special piece of paper flew out from the stack of books in my hands.

It was the paper where I wrote "Plans to Beat Nancy and Become Valedictorian". I wrote it in pink Sharpie and it had a very embarrassing illustration of Nancy. I watched, jaws agape, as the paper flew in the wind across the carpark.

I wasn't the most athletic person in school but if something like that escaped my grasp you sure as hell would find me running after it. I started running and jumping at the same time.

And all the ants in the carpark stopped walking on their 6 legs to stare at me.

I don't care if I looked like someone who escaped a mental asylum, I needed to get that paper back before it fell into the wrong hands.

For example, Nancy's hands.

Then my contender for Valedictorian would know my game plan which I spent all summer perfecting.

Someone emerged from the bushes and caught the paper with ease. Literally emerged. He must have been sitting in the bushes like some freak who thought he was an animal.

He was tall. So tall that when I looked straight all I saw was a plain black T-shirt wrapping someone's chest. I took a step back and tilted my head up.

I felt dizzy.

It couldn't be.

It was none other than Levi Henderson.

I should rephrase. It was none other than LEVI HENDERSON, the ex-convict who went to juvenile over something that must have been so stupid that no one even knew why he went.

Before going to juvenile for 2 years, I had the privilege of being a victim of his bullying.

Man, I thought he was gone forever. I offered so many prayer requests at church for the Lord to remove him from my life. I also sacrificed several pet rocks for to the Rock God. I even made a voodoo doll of him just to throw it in the trash.

Yet here he is standing before me, taller than ever. So tall I actually had to tilt my head to see his chin. I took another step back.

He was squinting his eyes at the paper.

"What is this?" He asked no one in particular.

"What, they don't teach you to read in juvie?" I asked bitterly. "Give it back Levi Henderson."

As if noticing me for the first time, he shifted his gaze to look at me. He squinted his eyes.

"What are you looking at?" I asked impatiently, tapping my foot. "Give it back."

Anyone in my position would be more respectful. Maybe a bit intimidated. But not me. I had a piece of paper that could ruin my life in his hands and I needed it back right now. What if he read it and decided to tell Nancy?

I'd sooner die than let that happen.

"You have three seconds before I march to the police station to tell them you stole my paper so you can go right back to juvie. Wait you're too old. Maybe jail this time."

He didn't reply. He just kept squinting at me.

Like a human observing an insect.

Was his eyesight that bad? Did juvie teach him staring was polite? Was there a spider or something on my face?

I had so many questions.

I was also getting anxious. I needed that paper back immediately. I jokingly detailed plans to murder Nancy on that paper, because I was bored, mind you. Not because I wanted to kill her. But if this information gets to the wrong person, I could end up going juvie instead. Who knows.

That's it.

I started hopping and reaching my hands as high as they could go to get the paper. But Levi just stretched his hands above him. That was all it took to doom me and my stupid short heritage.

"You look familiar."

"Give it back!" I screamed.

"I know you. You were that girl who had a crush on me 2 years ago."

I stopped jumping up and down to give him a nasty once-over before grimacing.

"Crush? On you? I'm offended."

"Yeah you were all over me," Levi smirked. "What's this paper anyway?" He looked at it and started reading. "Plans to be Vale - Valedic - Valedictorian!"

"Levi, you give it back right now or I swear to God the principal will hear about this. And soon the police too."

"What's a Valedictorian?"

"It's a Harry Potter character."

He frowned, lowering his hands. "Oh."

Out of nowhere, another person emerged from the bushes.

For the first time I started noticing the smell of something burning.

Everything was happening so fast.

"Just give her the paper. Come back and finish your joint Levi," came the person from the bushes.

I nearly fainted when I saw who it was.

They're back.

They really are back.

-

a/n: idk who's gonna read this but in case people actually read this, please vote and drop a comment :)