14

a/n: Whew this took a second. Illegal substance warning.

Recap: Ava has just arrived at a house party with hard drugs after insisting on going, despite (quite a few) warnings from Finn.

-

This was my first house party, ever. I know, how cool of me, right? It wasn't the fact that I never wanted to go, there has been a history of jocks in high school screaming 'after party at my house tonight, everyone is invited!', but I never deigned to attend because nothing about getting intoxicated and putting bad stuff in your body sounded fun.

Finn was crouched to my level, very near my face.

"Did you hear what I just said?"

"I can't hear anything!" I retorted.

To which, he grabbed me by my wrist and tugged me in the direction of what seemed like the kitchen. Some EDM was blasting on the speakers, I never was a fan of EDM but I tried bopping my head to the music - no, never mind, still not a fan.

The kitchen was empty, no one making out on countertops like I watch in shows. Finn opened the fridge and tossed me a can of diet coke. I surprisingly caught it.

"That's all you're having tonight. End of discussion."

"Why?"

"Do you want drugs coursing through your veins? If this place gets raided tonight they'll run urine tests on everyone and you'll thank me you only had a diet coke."

"I..."

"What is it?"

"Can I have a Sprite instead?"

He shot me a deadpanned expression before reopening the fridge to find a Sprite. Whilst he did that, I tried peeking into the living room. None of the people looked like they were from my high school. I know Finn said it wasn't a high school party but I couldn't help wondering if some of the cool kids still came to this.

"Oi," Finn went. And the next thing I knew, a can of Sprite was flying my way.

This time I missed.

And I watched as the can fell on the ground... and started gushing liquid out.

"Oh for fuck's sakes." Finn swore before he told me to "stay put" while he went in search of something to clean up the mess.

I bent down to pick up the can to lessen the mess.

At which point, someone else entered the kitchen.

"Hey," it was a girl. Black hair, bob cut, the words 'purity' tatted across her collar bone.

She was swaying on her feet while she pushed her hair behind her ears. But she extended a hand. "Theo," she said.

"What?"

"Theo, like, short for Theodora."

It took me several moments to realize she was introducing herself. My eyes widened, "oh, um, I'm Ava. Hi." I said lamely, grabbing her hand.

"Oh my god, sorry, I forgot I have Sprite on my hands," I grabbed my hands back as soon as I made contact.

I spoke to so few people that the entire encounter made me feel awkward. But she laughed it off, leaning forward to embrace me instead. "Don't worry about that. You here alone?"

"No, uh, I came with a friend. I mean friends. But he went off to get something to clean up the mess," I glanced at the Sprite on the floor.

Theo laughed it off, and she nearly fell in the process.