12

I spent the entirety of my morning shopping for a party outfit and contact lenses with Fran. During which, Fran found out I hadn't cut ties with the nasty trio, and as a result, she didn't want to shop with me anymore.

"You told me you would cut ties with them. Weeks ago."

"I told you, I'm tutoring them." I tried to explain.

"You're going to an underground illegal party with them. They probably hold gang fights there. People die at those things."

I winced. Let us hope not.

"What would the patients at Heart To Heart Hospice say? Honestly, I can't even recognize you anymore. You missed the Mathletes meeting the other day too. It's like I'm watching my own friend kill herself but she doesn't want to be saved."

"Fran, I'm just doing normal high school stuff." I said tiredly. She was so dramatic sometimes.

The subway ride home was painfully silent, Fran wouldn't even sit beside me.

I had a realization then, that Fran was a bad friend. Someone who wouldn't support my decisions didn't deserve to be called my friend.

My mom wasn't home when I entered the house, but Pinhead was. I sighed, taking the cat treats I had just bought from my bag and fed them to Pinhead. The cat looked satiated. But I wasn't. I felt some form of void within myself that I had no idea how to fill.

Just then, my school bag caught my eyes. And all at once I remembered that I wanted to be Valedictorian and beat Nancy. I couldn't believe I forgot the entire reason why I became affiliated with the 'bad boys' at all.

With renewed resolve, I opened my bag and took out my History book. Nothing like the Great Depression to remind me that I am in a good spot, economically. While I was removing my book from my bag, a post-it note fell out.

'CALCULUS TEST NEXT MONDAY' it said.

An expression of horror crossed my features.

Not Advanced Calculus, no.

Calculus was one of those subjects I could only study when I was really, really in the mood to. And right now I certainly was not in the mood to study.

That's it.

I'm skipping the blasted party.

Pinhead started meowing to be let in, so I opened my room door. She came in and went straight for the shopping bags I just bought this morning.

Could it be a sign...

A sign from the great omnipotent, ominous deity above...

A 'meow' came from the cat.

It was indeed a sign.

I reached down to stroke Pinhead's chin.

Alright, time to get dressed. From the depths of my shopping bags, I lifted the cropped top, cargo pants, and various chains I bought. I was so confident this morning buying these stupid... accessories against Fran's angry face, but right now I was having second thoughts.

Maybe I was going too far trying to blend in with people who wouldn't even remember me after they graduate.

I'll try everything on in case. Since I wasted good money on everything.

So I changed into the black top, pairing it with oversized cargo pants. I obviously wasn't wearing just this. I bought an oversized jacket too, because I am a girl of puritanical morals.

I looked like a freaking H&M mannequin.

My cat meowed, as if agreeing. Or maybe her bowl was empty. You never know.