13

Ava's POV

> If you're really going the party starts after 11

I read the text over and over again. It was 6pm right now.

And I thought I only had an hour to prepare for the party. What kind of party even starts at 11pm?

As I towelled my hair dry, I re-entered my room to see Pinhead sitting on my bed. The one creature on this planet who may actually love me.

So I have 5 hours to prepare, and one hour to travel there so I won't be late. Or maybe I should time myself to arrive there after 11, in which case I have 6 hours to prepare for the party.

No wonder Finn was still in bed.

I glanced down at his text again.

If the party was going to start after 11, do I reach at 11 or after 11?

Jasper, of course. One cannot go wrong with nice, polite Jasper who didn't think I was too immature for this party.

I texted Jasper.

> What time are you going tonight?

While I waited for his reply, I dried my hair with a hairdryer. But he hadn't replied by the time I was done. So I decided to tweeze my eyebrows, it was a very special occasion, yes.

Half an hour later, Jasper still hadn't replied me. I felt the mildest surge of panic. But then I reassured myself I had 6 hours to wait for a response. So I painted my nails, and my toenails for extra measure. Then I waxed my limbs.

At which point, I could hear my mother returning home with the hum of a melancholic tune and the crinkle of grocery bags. Pinhead zoomed downstairs, but I didn't. Because motivation had just struck.

Motivation to study for my Calculus test. And I never ignore such motivations. They come in tidal waves, unpredictable but very useful to help me score. So my makeup and party preparation was forgotten as I dived into my bag to retrieve my Calculus textbook.

The time was 10.14pm when Jasper replied me.

> Oh shit I'm so sorry I didn't see your text

> I'm reaching a little after 11, hbu?

Just like that, the motivation to study was gone, seemingly fizzled out of thin air the moment Jasper's name popped up on my phone.

Jasper.

> Can you still fetch me?

My thumb hovered over the send button. In the end, I decided to send it. Worst case scenario, I get an Uber there. Whatever.

> Uh hold on

It was a three minute hold.

> Finn says he'll fetch you

What the heck? Make up your mind Finn freaking Russell.

> Does he pinky promise?

> Yeah

I pursed my lips.

> With a cherry on top?

> Lol, yeah he's leaving now, be there in 15

FRICK.

I scampered to the pile of new clothes I'd haphazardly dumped in the corner of my room and got changed at the speed of light.

In case you were wondering, yes, sneaking out is on tonight's agenda.

I contemplated for the longest time if I wanted to wear any of the accessories I bought. In the end, I went with it. When I was done getting dressed, I looked like something Finn might parade around on his left hand. Minus the tattoos.