7

Ava's POV

I met Nancy in our school's Science and Math Society back in tenth grade. At one of our meetings, we were split into two groups, me heading one and Nancy heading the other.

Needless to say, we never saw each other the same way since that day.

For the past 2 years, Nancy beat my GPA by 0.1, earning the top scorer award in Central High and the privilege of having her stupid face plastered all over the school's magazine.

This year I vowed to have the last laugh. I needed to beat her and graduate Valedictorian so she can have a taste of her own medicine.

So when I saw her walking down the hallway in my direction, I felt bile in my throat and instantly swerved into the female restroom which happened to be conveniently close to where I was standing.

Within the restroom were a bunch of cheerleaders fixing their makeup. The place smelled so strongly of perfume and body mist that if I started a fire the whole place would explode.

Luckily for me I had no plans to start any sort of fires.

The cheerleaders kept on gossiping as though I wasn't there. I took the last empty sink and pretended to wash my hands as I listened in on their conversation.

" - I think I'm in love with him." One of them said dreamily. "The other day we had sex I felt so much chemistry."

"Wait, you did the nasty with Jasper?" Someone else remarked.

"Yes!"

"Oh my god," I gasped out.

A long best of silence ensued as everyone of them turned to look at me. I could feel my face reddening.

"Yes, how can we help you?" The closest girl raised an eyebrow at me.

"Nothing, I just remembered something," I said in the smallest voice I could muster before drying my hands and backing out of the female restroom.

My heart was thumping as an indescribable feeling overtook my being. I really wasn't sure what was wrong with me. But I do know I no longer wanted to put that much effort into Jasper's sociology assignment anymore.

-

My mom was watching a sit-com on TV when I cautiously took the empty seat beside her.

"Hey mom."

She gave me a sideways glance. "Hi, sweetie."

"So... How are you?" I asked awkwardly.

"Things are fine, Ava. Is everything okay?" She turned the volume of her sit-com down as though starting to sense that something may be wrong.

"Yeah. They're fine. What are you watching?"

"Modern Family."

"Is it still running?"

"Ye - "

"What would you do if you're in love with someone who may not be right for you?" My words rushed out before I could stop myself. I slapped a hand over my mouth but it was too late, my mom had already heard me.

"Are you..." her eyes softened when she looked at me. Her lips tilted up into a small smile. "Love is a pretty big word, Honey."

I fumbled with my hands, moving my gaze away from her. "I guess I'm not really in love. I just can't stop thinking about this guy."

A crash sounded from upstairs. The next thing I knew, Pinhead came bounding down the stairs.

"Cat's in one of her silly moods again." My mom commented.