9

I was to meet Jasper at a restaurant downtown. It wasn't anything fancy, I looked it up and it looked like a normal family restaurant.

We were supposed to meet at 7:00pm but the subway came a bit late, and I missed the bus. To make matters worse, everyone was staring at me, which made me feel uncomfortable beyond words.

Anyway I ended up reaching Alfredo's Diner at 7:08pm. Jasper was already in there. He was looking at his phone and smiling.

I checked my phone just to see if he'd texted me anything.

Nothing.

Looks like he wasn't texting me. I shoved down the lump in my throat and adjusted the strap of my tank top without pants. I took out the flask from my bag and took a quick swig. It was my mom's vodka which I had smuggled along with me.

Then, as confidently as I could, I walked straight for his table.

It was by sheer luck and chance that I didn't trip or bump into anything while walking to Jasper's table. Jasper looked up when I approached. He looked confused at first, before realization dawned.

"Oh," he flipped his phone down on the table. "Ava, hi."

I don't think I've ever seen Jasper O'Neill caught off guard. But he was caught off guard. Maybe a little flustered even.

I flashed him a sweet smile, starting to feel confidence flow through my veins.

Was this what it felt like to look above average? Or to be on alcohol?

"Hey Jasper."

"Damn, you clean up nice," his eyebrows raised slightly. "Anyway, what's the special occasion?"

"What do you mean?" I asked casually, grabbing the menu to flip through it.

"I was told you wanted to discuss my assignment."

I quirked an eyebrow. "Is that so? What else were you told?"

"That it was urgent and you'd only be available at dinner time."

I nodded. "Interesting. What are you getting?"

He ignored my question. "If I wasn't as smart I might have suspected you asked Finn to help set you up on a date with me."

I tilted my head up to look at Jasper. His eyes were fixated on me, and if it wasn't for the alcohol I would have looked away by now.

"If I wasn't as smart," I mimicked him, the corners of my lips turning upwards. "Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night."

Jasper leaned back in his seat, letting out a chuckle. "I'm not wrong. Finn's not wingman material."

I set the menu aside, summoning the waitress. I told her what I wanted, and Jasper told her his. I didn't miss the flirtatious smile the young woman shot at him. But I wouldn't blame her. Jasper was a very handsome man, and when he looked at you with that twinkle in your eyes it was just impossible not to fall in love and picture having cute, blonde haired blue eyed kids with him.

I adjusted my tank top. It was a little lower cut than I was usually comfortable with. But whenever I pulled it up, the material revealed my ass. And when I pulled the material down, it revealed my cleavage.

Jasper was staring.

"Eyes up here, big boy."

"I know where your eyes are."

His words sent blood rushing to my cheeks. This was foreign territory to me. I couldn't find a suitable comeback. Thankfully, the waitress arrived with our drinks. Iced lemon tea for Jasper, and warm water for myself.