Chapter 18

Allison drops Lydia off at her house and before Lydia goes inside, says, "I need you to promise that you won't say anything about what the hell just happened."

Lydia nods. "I'll promise not to say anything about what just happened if you can tell me what the hell just happened."

I sigh. "Well, it's sort of complicated."

Lydia narrows her eyes. "Well, how bout either of you start with why was Derek there? Or where Jackson went, or what is wrong with Erica? Or why does Megara have a sword and a healed wound? Or do you two need a minute to come up with a plausible lie?"

"Well, I can tell you my side. I'm a demigod; daughter of the god of the sea. I can control water and have limited control of electricity, the earth, and ice. Water heals me, which is why my cut is gone."

Allison glances to me. "I thought those were just myths."

"You and everyone else."

She nods and turns back to Lydia, who is staring at me in shock. "Part of the reason why I'm asking is because Scott and I aren't supposed to be seeing each other, okay? It's better if you just keep what you know to yourself."

Lydia purses her lips. "Fine. I'll keep what I know about you and your boyfriend--which is nothing--to myself."

Allison frowns. "Hey. He's not just my boyfriend. You get that, right?"

She grabs Lydia's wrist and Lydia tries to pull away. "Let me go."

Allison sighs. "Just for one second, please, try and remember--"

"Remember what?"

"Remember what it feels like. All of those times in school when you see him standing down the hall and you cannot breathe until you're with him. Or those times in class when you--you can't stop looking at the clock because you know that he's standing right out there waiting for you. Don't you remember what that's like?"

Lydia shakes her head. "No."

"What do you mean, "no"? You've had boyfriends."

"None like that." Lydia admits.

As Allison pours out her heart, I instantly think of someone. A particular boy with a buzz-cut. Allison glances to me. "What are you thinking, Megara?"

"I--I think I know how you feel."

Lydia smirks. "Someone's finally admitting how she feels."

"I don't know how I feel. This guy is adorable, endlessly sarcastic, loves Star Wars, the Mets, and if I'm being honest, I think I've fallen for him hard."

The girls smirk at me as I finally admit my feelings for the spastic boy.

Lydia walks inside and I go with Allison to spend time with her, at least enough time for her to drive me home.

She glances to me. "So, Stiles. Have you told him how you feel?"

"No, I've only come to the realization myself. I like being friends with him and I don't want to ruin anything if our relationship goes sour."

"I don't think it will. Stiles likes you a lot."

"I know he does. I'm--I'm just worried that Aphrodite will mess something up. She has a habit of messing with people's love lives. Not that I feel that way about Stiles. I mean, I don't know if I do, but I mean--Okay, I do."

Allison gives me a soft smile. "We're here. Things will happen as they're meant to with Stiles."

At school the next day, Allison and I are in Gerard's office. Gerard gives me a smile and turns to Allison. "So, who did you say you were studying with tonight?"