Chapter 31

Stiles and I meet up with Scott. We'd planned to go out for dinner, but that had been interrupted by Scott telling us to come to the hospital asap.

The sheriff turns to us. "Boys, Megara, give us a second."

He turns to Stiles. "These are definitely sacrifices, right?"

My boyfriend nods. "Yeah, it's the one Deaton mentioned. Healers."

"What about Danny? He threw up mistletoe. That's not a coincidence, and if he hadn't been with Ethan, he probably would've died. Danny's not a healer. I..."

"Can you hear that?" Stiles suddenly says, pointing at his dad.

Scott turns around. "They found a body."

In Chemistry, Ms. Blake walks in. "Good morning. As you all know, Mr. Harris is still missing...I mean, sick. Anyway, I'm filling in while we all hope and pray for a more qualified substitute to take my place. Okay, so let's get started, shall we?"

Stiles, who is seated next to Scott at the table in front of me glances between the two of us. "Hey, my dad said that the ER attending wasn't strangled but did die from asphyxiation. They just don't know how."

Scott glances to Stiles. "Do you think the on-call doctor could still be alive?"

"I don't know...But, Scott, there's got to be at least 20 other doctors in that hospital...at least, you know? Any one of them could be next."

Scott gets a call from someone and he leans down towards the ground to answer quietly. "Hey, doc. Sorry, I'm in class right now. Can I call you back later?"

After a moment, Scott says, "Doc, doc, doc, doc? What's happening?"

Scott rushes off and I turn to Stiles. "Call your dad. We gotta head to the clinic."

Stiles calls his dad as we drive to the Animal Clinic. When we get there, Scott and Sheriff Stilinski are in the operating room. Stiles stands to Scott's left, crossing his arms, and I jump on the counter, sitting next to Scott as I place a hand on his shoulder, Sheriff doing the same. "Alright, we're doing everything we can. Right now, the best thing you can do is go back to school."

Scott motions silently for us to follow him, and Stiles takes my head as I hop down. We head into the Cat Clinic, and though there are no cats present, the scent is still there and I start sneezing. "Meg, you okay?" Scott asks.

I nod. "Yeah. Just the lingering scent of kitty cats."

"Kitty cats? Seriously?"

"Just talk, Scotto."

He sighs and stares at my boyfriend. "We have to tell him."

Stiles jerks his head forward slightly. "You mean, like, tell him tell him, or tell him something else that isn't telling him what I think you want to tell him."

"You know what I mean."

Stiles places one hand on one of the cages and takes my hand in the other. "You remember how your mom reacted? She didn't look you or Meg in the eyes for, like, a week."

"And she got over it, and...and it actually made us closer."

Stiles continues staring at his dad through the tiny window. "I don't know, dude. I mean, look at him. Come on, he's completely overwhelmed as it is."

I see Sheriff Stilinski rubbing his eyes. "Because he has no idea what's happening, Stiles."

Scott continues, "He's got people dying in this town, the town that he's supposed to protect, and it's not his fault that he doesn't know what's happening. He's gonna find out sooner or later."