xiv. WORD CHOICE

when you write your fanfics, make sure to switch up your word choice from time to time

when you write your fanfics, make sure to switch up your word choice from time to time. i'm so tired of reading "he said" "she said" "they said" basically "sAiD" in every sentence. there are SO many other words to use instead of "said". now i'm not saying to stop using the word "said" completely; but there are other words you can use that will help the story make a little more sense.

                              EXAMPLE

"Cory, did you go out with Topanga last night?" asked Shawn.

"No," Cory said.

here are some terms you could use instead:
— replied
— answered
— stated
— responded
— lied (to make the story even more interesting!!)

another thing people do a lot when writing their stories is use the same terms to describe characters' eye color. c'mon guys, there are more eye colors than "ocean blue" and "emerald green". it's okay to use those terms once in a while, but don't use them every time you talk about their eyes.

to make things less cliché, use a different eye color such as:
— deep blue
— honey
— turquoise
— stormy gray
— caramel
— chocolate
— teal
— olive green
— golden
— sky blue
— hazel
— indigo
— baby blue

and you don't always have to use color when describing someone's eyes! you could also use words like:
— piercing
— hard as stone
— cold
— unforgiving
— bright eyes
— his/her eyes shone
— warm and welcoming

see? non cliché and they still make perfect sense! if you'd like to use any of the examples i provided above, go ahead. now i'm gonna write two examples of what you should and should not do when writing your fanfic.

DON'T
wow this place i'm in is so weird. oh btw i have long blonde hair and emerald green eyes and my boyfriend's name is shawn hunter and he is hot because he has ocean blue eyes and brown hair. we live together in california and i like it cause it's weird and i'm so amazing like i'm way better than all of the other characters and can do things they can't cause i'm THAT bitch and that's far fetched and unrealistic but who cares and now i'm kissing my boyfriend. he's so hot and he kisses good i like him a lot. no actually i love him even though we just met and i barely know him lol

 no actually i love him even though we just met and i barely know him lol

please don't write stuff like this. just don't i'm BEGGING y'all. they're terrible and cringey and shouldn't even be allowed.

DO
My new life in California was a lot better than my old life back in Florida. I lived in a decent apartment with my best friend Madi and my boyfriend Eric; and every day was a new adventure for us. We definitely had a lot more fun here than we did back in Florida. I didn't think life could get any better until one beautiful summer day.

I woke up one morning to see a rose lying on the bedside table. It was a beautiful scarlet shade and all of the thorns have been clipped.

Eric.

I grabbed the rose and walked into the kitchen to see Madi standing there with a big smile on her face.

"Y/N, would you like to go for a walk?" she asked.

There was a bit of excitement in her voice and I knew something was going on. Madi always talked higher than she normally does when something was going to happen, especially if I didn't know anything about it.

"Sure," I replied, and I followed her out the door.

As we were walking, I knew exactly where Madi was taking me. The path we were taking led to the park, which was where Eric and I often went for dates or just late night talks. When we arrived, I saw rose petals scattered in the grass; the petals were as red as the rose I received this morning. I turned to Madi to ask her what was going on, but she was already gone. When I looked back at the rose petals, I saw Eric step out from behind a tree.

"Eric!" I exclaimed in surprise.

I realized the tree he was hiding behind was the same one we sat under when we first said "I love you."

Eric smiled at me and pulled something from his pocket.

A small box.

"Oh my God. Eric..." I whispered as I covered my mouth with my hands.

Eric got down on one knee and opened the box, revealing a shiny diamond ring.

"Will you marry me, Y/N?" he asked.

so there you go, i hope i helped! you can use any of the adjectives i have previously listed, but please don't steal the example above; remember that your fbi agent is watching you.

next chapter • realness

—by eden ( @sturnloios )