xx. TIME PERIODS

There are two common time periods BMW fanfictions take place

There are two common time periods BMW fanfictions take place. The 1990s (which was when the show took place) and the present day.

If you're writing a BMW fanfic that takes place in the 1990s, please do your damn research. I've actually read some BMW fanfics that are supposed to take place in the 90s, yet there was a lot of modern technology and words like "bae" in the story. First of all, there should not be any social media or iPhones whatsoever if your story doesn't take place in the present day. Second, your characters should not say any modern slang words/phrases; those words did not exist back then.

I have written an example of what NOT to do when writing your fanfic that takes place in the 90s below. Happy reading.

I whipped out my iPhone to call Shawn, who wasn't standing in his usual spot by the lockers. This was sus; where was he at? I immediately dialed his number and listened to the phone ringing. Finally, he picked up.

"Aye Cory."

"Shawnie, where you at?"

"Just wanted to walk Dixie to class."

"You're kidding me, bruh."

"Hey, I promise I'll meet up with you after she gets to her class! Just stay where you are."

And he hung up. Damn, I should've known Shawn was going to hang out with Dixie. She's finessed him the whole week, how are that thot just steal my boy like that. Just then, Topanga came walking around the corner.

"Hey bae," I said, walking over to give her a hug.

"Cory, be careful. I don't want you to accidentally step on my new shoes," she said as she backed away.

I carefully walked closer to her, looking at her new Nike Air Force 1s the whole time to make sure I wouldn't step on them. Then I put an arm around her.

"So Shawn's walking Dixie to class."

"Ooh really? Are they dating yet? Spill the tea!" Topanga exclaimed.

"Nah not yet," I said, even though I didn't know for sure.

"Oh. Well I'm gonna head to class," said Topanga.

"Wait!" I said, turning and grabbing her by the Kanken.

"What?"

"Let's sneak over to Dixie's class just to see if they do anything, you know, kinda sus. Wanna?"

"Oh Cory, you're so extra! Why don't we just look at their instagram bios to see if they have each others' names in them?"

"I already checked! C'mon Topy, this is finna be lit."

ERRORS

ERRORS

1. The story supposed to take place in the 90s, so why tf does Cory have an iPhone?

2. I have added a lot of modern slang words. Again, this is the 90s, so the characters shouldn't be saying words like "bruh" or "sus" or "thot"

3. If there are no iPhones, there should be no instagram (or any other forms of social media like facebook, snapchat, etc.)

4. People didn't wear Air Force 1s or Kankens then. So don't have your characters wear any modern day clothing.

I strongly suggest looking up what technology was available, the kind of clothing people wore, and popular slang words and phrases around that time.

Now if your fanfiction takes place in the present day (like mine) you can have iPhones, social media, and modern slang and clothing. Have Cory send Topanga a snapchat. Have Eric call your OC "bae". Have Shawn dress like an eboy. Just do whatever you want!!

But please don't overuse the slang words or some people won't understand what you're saying.

next chapter • chapter names

— by aria ( @hrtsforevan )